1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

The simplest YICS Tool?

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Dario Archer, May 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Dario Archer

Dario Archer New Member

Hi all,
    Hi from Australia.
    I have recently purchased an 83 XJ900R as a project for my retirement and have read with interest the first and against regarding blanking off the YICS system when synchronising carbies.
    For what it's worth and if has been done before, my apologies to the original author.
    I purchased a length of circular soft rubber of 13 mm from our local rubber shop. I then pierced it with so light gauge wire, okies up the rubber and with some pressure pulled it through successfully.
    cheers Dario

Attached Files:

2. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

@Dario Archer , that gets pretty hot when the engine is running. Will that rubber survive the heat?

Also, there is a fair amount of debate as to whether the block-off tool is actually needed or not.

cgutz likes this.
  3. Dario Archer

Dario Archer New Member

Good point Dan, no idea on the tolerance for heat, I may end up scraping out goop☹️

4. Dario Archer

Dario Archer New Member

I just put a lighter on a section and whilst it caught fire when the flame was held against it for a few seconds, if you left it to heat up without the flame hitting it, all seemed to be ok. How long it would last on a running engine is another matter of course.

5. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I have had my XJ550 since new, I have never used a YICS tool for a running synch, and no issues.

Timbox and Franz like this.
  6. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Even the original YICS tool rubber will start to melt if left in too long. You remove it in between runs to let it cool off a little between adjustments.

You'll want some brass clean out brushes to get that gunk out, and picks to clean the passages when they gunk up with rubber. Good idea anyway if it needs cleaning.

YICS tool takes one of the variables out of the equation for syncing. If you're very close, it's not going to make a difference, but if you're way off, it could contribute to chasing your tail. It's a process, with a bench sync, pilot adjust, sync, pilot adjust, until it runs like a sewing machine. You can get lucky with the first adjustment, but since there are 8 variables (4 pilot, 3 sync, and 1 idle screw) it's better to be methodical.

Timbox and Franz like this.
  7. Dario Archer

Dario Archer New Member

Thanks for the additional info. It should turn out to be an interesting exercise ManBot13 Cheers