1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fork travel under spec - 81' XJ550 Seca

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by SlyCooper1324, Jun 4, 2022.

1. SlyCooper1324

SlyCooper1324 New Member

So I've been having some bottoming out/clunking issues with my front forks and when I check the travel on them, they only measured to around 124mm when spec is apparently closer to 137mm.

However, apparently these forks are non-adjustable so what can I do to get these forks back within spec, and not bottom out anymore? Does it not have enough oil? Too much? I really don't know as I'm a complete novice here, but I'd appreciate some advice!

2. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

This is pure guess.........your springs have collapsed, you need new/good used springs

3. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Another pure guess - maybe someone shortened them at some point in the past. Perhaps they were trying to get a lower ride height or softer suspension (????) Again, pure speculation.

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Mabe they are the wrong springs? Better just replacing them.

5. SlyCooper1324

SlyCooper1324 New Member

So apparently whoever had the bike before me, decided to replace the original handlebars with clip-ons and for whatever reason pulled the forks higher than the triple tree to mount them. Oh that and the shop I went to last year decided to put 0W oil instead of the 10W that Yamaha recommends. Until I get a pair of stock handlebars, re-mounting the clip-ons BELOW the triple tree (like they should be) gave me the extra bit of suspension that I was missing.

6. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how the clip ons could affect the travel - unless the forks were mounted sooo high that the slider hit the bottom tree/yoke - but that's unthinkable. Must have been the oil.

jayrodoh likes this.
  7. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Yah, moving the forks down further into the triple clamps won't affect the shock at all. If you're getting less than stock travel then you need to pull them apart. Yamaha has all the specs clearly documented. Tear down, measure the spring, replace if out of spec, and rebuild from there. Oil viscosity is going to affect dampening and rebound, not the travel.

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It won’t affect travel, but it will affect ground clearance, and rake/trail.

jayrodoh likes this.