1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1981 xj650 axle

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by glennyboy, Jun 11, 2022.

1. glennyboy

glennyboy Member

XJ650 AXLE 1.jpg AXLE 2 650.jpg I had the axle off cleaning it up and painting all back together then i looked at pictures in the handbook and thought what is missing here or what axle do i have last owners have had the swing arm off before

View attachment 45558 View attachment 45558 AXLE 2 650.jpg

2. glennyboy

glennyboy Member

looking at other axles there is a flange and spring.

xj650 axl rear drive axle.jpeg

3. glennyboy

glennyboy Member

the flange part does not stick out on my 650 like all the others

4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Does that coupling slide out of the swing arm assembly? I've never seen one like that, unsure if there was a different style or maybe the bolt that holds the coupler in place on the gear housing broke and its stuck on the driveshaft!

5. glennyboy

glennyboy Member

Never tried to pull the coupling out of the swing arm, would it be a problem putting it back, i think it is a different style have to take a look at others again... that flange on the shaft butts up against the pinion bearing, dont look like anything is broken, reason i ask about this is i found some metal on the drain plug, looks like the casing of a needle roller bearing, plus not a good sound when i spin it, was full of oil.... looking at pictures of other 650 axles mine dont look like any.... could my axle be from another model, who knows what over the 41 years..... never road tested this project bike yet, waiting for tubeless valve stems.... production date of bike is 6/1980....

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  6. glennyboy

glennyboy Member

After looking at the picture in the Hanyes book it looks like the thread/nut on the drive pinion has gone ... looks like i will be looking for complete swing arm/axle

rear AXLE DIAG.jpg

7. glennyboy

glennyboy Member

Looks like i will have to pull that shaft here is a picture of what the flange should look like

REAR AXKLE PICTURE U E BAY.jpg

8. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Every rear end I have in the garage looks like that last pic, I'm thinking that the input shaft where the coupler is attached to the gearcase has broken off. Pulling whats left of the coupler off that shaft in the swing arm will confirm. If that's the case good thing you found that before riding it!

9. glennyboy

glennyboy Member

yeah lol ... last owner was riding like that for three years... must have been deaf

jayrodoh likes this.
  10. glennyboy

glennyboy Member

Got the shaft out and yes the thread/nut snapped off .. used axle on its way from ebay

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That's what I'd have suggesed you do anyway. Reassembly of the final drive requires special tools. They can be fabricated, but given how inexpensive a used final drive is it's not really worth the bother.

12. glennyboy

glennyboy Member

Pulled apart the pinion bearing is shot, last owner would not hear the noise from the diff the baffles in exhaust are gone, burnt out over the past 41 years
    IMG_20220614_113058851_HDR.jpg