1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Its a mystery

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Natedogg1123, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Natedogg1123

Natedogg1123 Member

Welcome all,

I have an 81XJ650 Maxim. I have done a full tear down on the motor and the carburetor. Engine has been rebuilt. Compression test is within specs. The the timing dots are spot on with #1 cylinder. The shims haver all been triple checked for correct spacing. The Fuse shave all been replaced with The switch blade type. The carburetor has been brought to the church of clean. Almost all new parts. Gaskets, Needles, all original #s double checked. Ultrasonic cleaned. Ever carb separated and thoroughly checked. I've used a guitar string to check every port. Air fuel mixture screws set at 2.5. Butterfly valves all synced with guitar string. Followed all guides on that. I just replaced the #1-4 coil. both coils have spark. everything ohm checked. I recently had slippage to the starter clutch. Cleaned out engine with Seafoam. This fixed the problem. Also the Starter has been taken apart and cleaned and polished. Nice and copper again. All ground point have been cleaned. Fuel currently setup with an accessory tank to do testing. Suction hose has been closed off for carbs. Battery voltage is good. Getting over 10v when cranking for start. So with all that I'm still not getting a start. It cranks but no ignition. I've double checked my Jets #';s are correct and all in the right spots. Starter fluid isn't even working. Also just tried with new fluid Using 92 octane. Really stuck here. Theoretically it should fire even rough but its not. Unless my timing is way off somehow. if the #1 piston is TDC and the dots match that. Shouldn't that be good for timing. I've never moved the timing Arrow mark so it should still be good in theory.

Please help. I'm totally stuck at this point.

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Slacken the float bowl drain screws a little to make sure the bowls are full, they should be but check anyway. Just read again you have already tried starter fluid.

3. Natedogg1123

Natedogg1123 Member

I have moist defiantly done that. I feel like maybe the fuel isnt spraying into the engine? the bowls always fill up and are level. within the 1-3mm spec.

4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Do you have spark? How are the plugs, I've had a bad plug before that would spark in free but wouldn't work in an engine. Would be unlikely all four would be bad but maybe fouled out from all the starting attempts?

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes l was thinking that too. Try what jayrodoh says might just be fouled plugs.

6. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

This is a interesting post . how much over 10v ?

7. Natedogg1123

Natedogg1123 Member

Ive replaced the plugs once already. Ive cleaned them also when fouled. Spark is good. Highly doubt all 4 wont spark.

8. Natedogg1123

Natedogg1123 Member

I get between 10-11v depending on the charge of my battery. I know it has to be over 10v. I have also checked the voltage at the TCI connector while hitting the start button to make sure its holding over 10v. So far s good. I was getting a drain from a bad coil that was pulling a full volt. So my voltage is higher now that I fixed that. Any other ideas? Thanks all so far by the way. I have read these forums alot to get ideas.

9. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

voltage spark-good, valves compression -good. starter fluid should at least get you a cough --- this is a interesting post. It seems you've done everything people would suggest. worth following for the solution.

10. Natedogg1123

Natedogg1123 Member

Im wondering about the pilot jet now, well maybe the passageway. The Jets themselves are pristine. Totally clean. But maybe there's blockage in the passages i cant see? any suggestions on how to check them or clean them out? I have ultrasonic cleaned the bowls but not the full carb them selves. maybe this is the issue? I've always had to use the choke when i had it running for a very small period. I mean full blast choke. which means the pilot is getting bypassed. maybe this could be it? wouldn't that even keep starter fluid from working?

11. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

flinging stuff now.. are your coils connected to the correct elec.couplings,
    700 -yellow coup. left coil 1,4 white cup. right coil 2,3.
    you would still get spark and voltage if opposite.

12. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

If the jet in the bowl well is not clear you will have a hard time starting/idling. That jet is the hardest part of the carbs to clean.

13. Natedogg1123

Natedogg1123 Member

Yes the coils are in the correct positions. It not that. Wish if would be so simple.

14. Natedogg1123

Natedogg1123 Member

The bowls themselves are completely cleaned. Ultrasonic cleaned. I have also heated them up and sprayed carb cleaner in them boiled the carb cleaner and cleared out the holes. I can see light through them and have had carb cleaner sprayed through and watched it come out. Its not the bowls.

15. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Are the air jets in the correct positions?
    [​IMG]

Were the fuel levels adjusted by the wet-set method?
    Setting the fuel levels

EDIT:
    I reread yourfirst post.You stated that starter fluid isn't working.
    Are the plugs new, or are they the ones you had in the engine before the rebuild?

16. Natedogg1123

Natedogg1123 Member

Air Jets are in the right spot. I've read these forums so many times looking for an answer. Fuel levels are correct. On and off the bike. Which plugs are you referring to? I have checked all the jets. I can see through them all. I have replaced the Jets with the stock size. What else you got? I need something outside the box. I keep getting the typical responses. I'm about ready to buy a diffrent type of carbs. Ive heard Murraycarbs.com is a good option. Just another $600 i dont want to spend.

17. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

outside the box. Me, I would try to bump start, bypassing starter current draw. - all you need is a sign it wants to run.

jayrodoh and Franz like this.
  18. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

You shouldn't have to spend anything on different carbs, if it won't fire on starter spray through the carb body then another set of carbs is not gonna fix it. Everyone of these I've put back together I just sprayed a little fluid in the intakes (no carbs attached) and they all popped to life for a second.

I don't have anything "out of the box" to suggest, 8 years and I don't think I've seen another thread quite like this.

You say you have spark, can you confirm how you are testing this? Do you have an inline tester to see if it is actually sparking while the plug is installed?

Can you confirm what was done during the "engine rebuild." Helps to know what was/wasn't done.

What are the compression numbers?

Hard to imagine the marks are off if all the dots line up and you followed the procedure for installing and resetting the cam chain tensioner. Even if it was off and you bent a valve or valves the compression numbers would show this.

IIRC the timing plate only goes on one way, worth a check.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    k-moe and Franz like this.
  19. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

How do the resistor caps and resistor plugs work, not together l assume?

20. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Are the spark plug caps on the correct cylinders?