1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bike stalls when in gear.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Iwasanaccident, May 9, 2022.

1. Iwasanaccident

Iwasanaccident New Member

I bought a 1982 Yamaha XJ750 Seca several months ago, I knew it needed work but not as much as it does. I’ve got it running, however, as soon as you put it in gear, it stalls before even releasing the clutch. I’ve already bypassed the side stand safety as that was bad as well. I had thought that maybe the clutch was bad, so I’ve replaced that as well. Would the clutch safety cause this issue, or am I looking at this all wrong? Any advice would greatly be appreciated.
    thanks in advance.

2. jason191918

jason191918 Member

it stalls immediately after putting in gear? is the bike jumping like the clutch is not working releasing at all? maybe clutch out of adjustment or you didn't bypass side stand safety switch correctly?

3. Iwasanaccident

It stalls as soon as I press the shift lever down. It did jump some before I had replaced the clutch plates, but now there’s no jump, it only stalls. The cluster showed “STAND” until I bypassed it, now it doesn’t say anything. If I had done it wrong, would it still say it? I did actually have a mechanic adjust the clutch after I had it apart.

4. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The side stand switch is a DPST switch on the XJ bikes that utilize the CMS system. One half reports status to the CMS, the other half engages the side stand relay to enable the ignition. You would need to bypass (short) both switches to enable the ignition and report the correct status to the CMS

The side stand switches are quite reliable, and typically just get fouled up from road grit. Cleaning with a contact cleaner to get the plunger moving freely is usually all they need.

You can remove the side stand relay or disconnect the B/W wire at the bullet connector near the TCI as a troubleshooting aid for ignition cutoff - those should be temporary as it is a valuable safety feature to ensure the side stand has been stowed away

Jetfixer, k-moe and cgutz like this.
  5. Iwasanaccident

I did finally get it going, so big thanks to you guys. I’ve still got a lot I’d like to do to it.

Attached Files:

Timbox, Jetfixer, k-moe and 1 other person like this.