1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Absolutely new rider and a new to me 81 xj550

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by GerbHerb, Jul 1, 2022.

1. GerbHerb

GerbHerb New Member

Hello and good greetings lol, brand new rider picking up the bike later this week got the class and all that set up just need to know anything and everything I need to watch for and or tips with this bike specifically, recommend mods all the knowledge you old heads got I need thanks in advance Screenshot_20220629-080616_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20220629-080603_Facebook.jpg

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Take the time to do some looking around on the forum, there is so much to read up on. Reading and doing a search will help out a lot before you start to ask lots of questions.

I know you are a new rider, but do you have any mechanical background?

On every bike you will need to check out the safety stuff first. Make sure all the lights work, horn ect. Make sure the brakes are good and that the shifter and rear brake lever feel good and are in the correct place for you when on the bike. Most times they will be but just get a good feel for it.

The front brake fluid might need to be taken care of. When you pick the bike up from the seller, you can ask if the fluids (oil and brake) have been changed out lately?

The class you are attending, do you bring your own bike or do they have them for you? Enjoy the class and take the time to learn all the good slow speed maneuvers. Once you master the "friction point" of the clutch and throttle, you will become more confident.

Good luck wit the class and the bike. Enjoy the new hobby.

GerbHerb likes this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Make friends with your instructors. They usually either have experience working on bikes, or know someone who does. As much as this site is a great resource, having someone right next to you as you learn is the best.

GerbHerb likes this.
  4. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Once the bike has been gone over and is ready to go safety and maintenance wise, you will need to make adjustments for comfort. Off the bat it looks like the handlebar is tilted way up and the grip ends pointing toward the sky (PO wanted ape hangers?).

GerbHerb likes this.
  5. GerbHerb

GerbHerb New Member

I appreciate the response, yeah I have a good bit of mechanical experience I can drive a stick, and a four Wheeler, work on all my own stuff so the mechanical stuff is cool