1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Will a 700 seat fit on a 650?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by aholeinthewor1d, Jul 8, 2022.

1. aholeinthewor1d

aholeinthewor1d New Member

Ever since I got my 1980 XJ650 a few weeks back I've been checking Facebook and craigslist for similar bikes just to see what's out there and to get some ideas. Recently came across a really nice 1985 700 for sale and noticed it appears to have a 2 piece seat. As much as I'd love to fit a custom seat on my bike I don't have a welder right now and there doesn't seem to be any aftermarket seats which kind of sucks. Really don't like the look of mine and also want to make it lower.

Does anyone know if the seat from a 700 would fit on my bike without needing to make any custom brackets and stuff like that? Here's a picture of the bike/seat

00U0U_7eLezbILtCdz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

2. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Short answer: No

3. aholeinthewor1d

aholeinthewor1d New Member

What exactly would have to be done? If you have any links where someone did it already that would be awesome. Thanks!

4. Dan Gardner

Sorry, I’m not aware of anyone doing that mod

what I do know is that the 85-86 Maxims are very different animals as far as frames and seats are concerned compared to older Maxims.

so, can it be done? Sure, I suppose so. But I doubt if it’s worth it

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

1. That looks like it was custom made
    2. The frames of the two machines are different enough that the 700 seat pan just won’t fit on the 650

6. Dan Gardner

You think so? To me it looks like a really nice example of a bone stock XJ700N.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I thought that the stock seat was a one-peice.

8. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

I think Mad Bohemian fitted an xj700 style (front) seat to his XJ750 Maxim, which is basically the same frame as an XJ650 Maxim:

https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/thre...o-your-yamaha-today.4769/page-387#post-671010

No, unlike all the other XJ's, the 700's have a separate front and rear seat (and were available in a number of different fabric/material types and configurations). A couple of unique features of the XJ700 seats are:

a) they are comfortable.
    b) they put you lower to the ground, so even vertically-challenged souls can put their feet on the ground at a stop.
    c) if you slam on the brakes, you're going to slide forward a bit on the front seat, and that can be a real ball-crushing experience.....

k-moe likes this.