1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Want to restore

Discussion in 'Western US and Canada' started by freedomflyer, Jul 10, 2022.

1. freedomflyer

freedomflyer New Member

Hello, I have an '82 750 Maxim that has been sitting a lot of years. I bought it new just out of high school. Had one payment left and was going to visit a friend down a gravel road going 15mph and a dog came shooting out of some tall grass along the side of the road and I hit it and layed it down. Scuffed some things up and broke a couple of things. At the time didn't have the $$ to do cosmetic repairs so just rode it. Fast forward 7 years, got married, at the time our state required yearly licensing and was fairly expensive for someone with no money to license every year so was struggling to license and insure it for years and finally ended parking it. Then came kids (I thought I didn't have any money before kids) wife wanted to send them private school so once again no money. All that to say the bike has been buried in the shed untouched for I don't even know how many years now. Would like to do a restoration on it, has just over 13,000 miles but needs a lot of TLC to bring it back. I live in Southwest Montana and am not very mechanical. Does anyone know if there are any shops in the northwest that are reputable that I might contact? Thanks.

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a good plan in mind and if you chose to to to a shop you are looking at a lot of money "if" you can find a shop that will do it. IMHO this forum really is just for a person like you. Has the motivation to do the work, start reading up on the top right of each screen. There are so many threads on here to lean and make you a little more confident.

Most shops will not work on the older bikes, Do the reading, find a local friend or person on this board that lives close to you. Do a lot of reading, and make sure if and when you do the carbs, you do the right the first time. No half work on the carbs, they are really important to do and have done right.

Good luck