1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Crankcase 'plugs'

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Reggomez, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Reggomez

Reggomez New Member

Can anyone tell me what the plugs on either side of the crankcase are for (XJ650) They are below the crankcase cover, take about a 8mm hex and each has an 'O' ring. The Yam Corp. parts catalogue just describes them as "plug" which isn't that helpful. Do they serve to drain the crankcase for some reason? If some idiot had recently slid his bike along a road and ground one one of these plugs down so far that the o-ring was showing, is it something that crucially needs replacing or is is just some redundant casting plug that I (oops, I mean he) could ignore?

Paul

2. Nick

Nick Member

I'm assuming you mean the ones up front, in-line with the crank shaft. Those are the main oil gallery plugs, used to plug up the hole after machining the oil gallery.

3. Ace_Frehley

Ace_Frehley Member

Sounds like the oil gallery plugs to me, They are crucial in that if the ground down plug were to break while running down the road, you would empty your oil pretty quick. So I personally would replace it. I had one break off on me before on my old XS400 and it was like $7

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Here you go:

HCP6218 OEM oil galley PLUG, used to block off the machined oil gallery passage that terminates below the crankshaft end covers (or YICS covers on those engines). Hex drive design, natural finish. Correct for all XJ550, 650, 700, 750, and 900 models. NOTE: on some models this black had a black finish. Each:
    $

HCP6220 OEM oil galley plug O-RING, for the HCP6281 plug. FOr all XJ550, 650, 750, and 900 engines. Each:
    $

Both of the above items ARE in stock.

http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic ... t=135.html

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Critical Part.
    Get a new one in there and don't break it by over-tightening it.

Those Plugs are the Main Oil Gallery Plugs. If one was to fracture and / or leak ... all the Engine Oil will leak from the Crankcase.

6. Reggomez

Reggomez New Member

Ah, yes quite important really then. Now, being a Zen Master at stripping thread, I'd better ask - anyone know the torque setting for these?

Paul

7. chacal

Funny you should ask....I've looked for this value in all the manuals and it's the one that doesn't seem to be printed anywhere. The 550 manual references a "crankcase main gallery blind plug" (but has no visual or illustrative reference as to what this is) and calls for 8 ft-lbs. or torque.

8. Jehqwoum

Jehqwoum New Member

Mine has broken off and is leaking oil everywhere. I can’t seem to find it anywhere online. Do you know a site for it?

9. chacal

Here you go:

HCP6218 OEM oil galley PLUG, used to block off the machined oil gallery passage that terminates below the crankshaft end covers (or YICS covers on those engines). Hex drive design, natural finish. Correct for all XJ550, 650, 700, 750, and 900 models. Each:
    $

HCP6220 OEM oil galley plug O-RING, for the HCP6281 plug. For all XJ550, 650, 750, and 900 engines. Each:
    $

Both of the above items ARE in stock.

10. Jehqwoum

Jehqwoum New Member

Hey I have a question for you. While it was running I checked where the headers are supposed to be and cylinder 1 and 2 have good output put 3 and 4 feel like they aren’t pushing as hard. I mean I do have vacuum leaks at the intake where the carbs are and the carbs aren’t in perfect shape either. I also have no headers too. Do you know what’s up? Is it the carbs?

11. Jehqwoum

Jehqwoum New Member

Still can’t find a place that sells them online

12. chacal

If you could send us an e-mail at: info@xj4ever.com then I can provide you with all the pricing, ordering and payment info, etc.