1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Do I have an aftermarket exhaust on my 1981 650 Maxim?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by R T, Jul 26, 2022.

1. R T

R T New Member

I got my first bike, a 1981 650 Maxim about 3 months ago in a non working state, but looking pretty nice for what it was. I worked on it and got it running pretty good and now I'm just working on putting things like new brake lines and new tires on it. So I went to take the back wheel off, which I just found out is missing a spacer (thanks to the good people here) and in order to get the axle out I had to take off the right side of the exhaust. It's 4 into 2. It's supposed to be slip on, but since the metal is old and a little banged up I had to take headers 3 and 4 off. BTW, what's your opinion on using stainless steel bolts w/ blue loctite instead of the right studs for the headers?
    Anyway, I think my exhaust might be aftermarket because they don't really look like any of the pictures I've seen. I haven't seen any bikes on here that have the same angled cut, and they all look like they leave enough room to take the axle out. It would be cool to know what they are. It's kind of annoying to have to take the exhaust off to change a tire or whatever else I'm gonna have to do. The right side had a mouse nest in it when I bought the bike, that was a lot of fun to finally get it out. Headers 2 and 3 have holes in them at the bottom bend. Let me know what you think.
    bike.jpeg exhaust 1.jpg

2. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes, that’s aftermarket

3. R T

R T New Member

What's the best thing to do in this situation? Leave it alone and keep taking it off when I need to change a tire? Cut it down by a few inches and make it a straight pipe? I don't really wanna buy new pipes right now. I also kinda like how it sounds. What's the best way and what's the cheapest way to fix the holes in the headers the right way? I heard aluminum tape and a hose clamp on the outside would be a good and cheap way to do it.

4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

If you like how it sounds, don't mind taking it off to change a tire, and don't want to buy a stock setup or correct aftermarket then I would leave it as is. You might find cutting it down will sound awful and kill some performance.

I've used JB Weld steel stick on a few exhaust systems without an issue.

R T likes this.
  5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Check about Galvanic corrosion caused by stainless steel bolts. l heard they can react with the aluminium and will be difficult to get out. Might be better with the original fixings for the header pipes.

jayrodoh and R T like this.
  6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Closest l can find is this system but the ends of the mufflers are turned out more.

16589670071938849064023741131692.jpg

7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

If you can take the shocks off can the swing arm be raised just enough to get the spindle out without straining the universal joint. Just a thought may be an option if you don't want to remove the header pipes, if is can clear the silencer.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  8. R T

R T New Member

I thought about doing that, too, but then I decided it might be less work to just take the exhaust off. I think I'll just have to live with it for now. Hopefully I won't have to do that again for a while. Those pipes are pretty sharp looking, I looked them up but didn't find that set anywhere.

9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes l agree better removing the exhaust. Pipes look good. Mabe later you can get a 4 into 1 for your machine if you want.

10. faffi

faffi Active Member

Back in the day, the XS750 and 1100 came with a special cable set that could be used to compress the rear shocks in order for the rear axle to be pulled out above the exhaust system. Personally, I often find it easier to just remove the shocks instead of the exhaust system, especially where you only have to remove the bottom (or top) bolts instead of both. But the method I use depends on what is the least faff on any given bike.

R T and Franz like this.
  11. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

No way, try the shocks first, much much easier if its enough. Faffing about sealing and remounting exhausts - no thanks.

R T likes this.