1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1996 Intruder 1400

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, May 24, 2022.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I really like these bikes, last one I had I would have kept but the forward controls were way too far forward for me. So when this bike came up on FB Market, I kept my eye on it.

Three weeks later and the seller contacted me and said come and get it, so yesterday I made the trip. Bike is unmolested beside the headlight and the exhaust tips. 15K miles on it and over all in good shape. The gas tank will need a lot of TLC and I have to find some parts for it...side covers maybe...seller says they have them in their garage.

So, I am hoping this will stay around my place for a long time and be a good secondary bike.

[​IMG]1996 1400 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Dan Gardner and Franz like this.
  2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Had to order a few things to make the bike street ready. I do have it running, all fluids changed and flushed. This bike is the older model so will only have the 4 speed in it. I guess many people like the old gearbox compared to the newer 5 speed.

Gas tank is coming along, will need to put a fuel filter in line some how. I did it with the 800 version of this bike from the output of the pump to the lower carb. I hope to do the same with this one. Brakes bad are all good, chrome on the tires is looking a little used, not too sure what to do about that. Lots of part in the mail so have to find real things to do around the house and yard work...hobby stuff is always funny.

Have a save rest of the weekend fellow wrenchers.

Uxbridge Brule likes this.
  3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got all the parts I was missing in the mail this past week. I got all the parts need so I put it all together but not before I did the syn. Yes the syn on these bike is just a cable that runs from the front carb to the rear carb. Rear carb had the idle screw and then you mach the syn. I could not get it perfect but I got it as close as I could.

Took the bike out for a little ride, after putting not one but two fuel filters on the bike. Once on the line from the petcock to the in portion of the pump and then another leaving the pump before it goes into the rear carb. My tank is still not perfect and might be offing some little bits. I really took the time to try to know all the rust off this thing, soak and used chain inside the tank. Flushed it so may times with water...anyway...off to ride.

The ride was nice, the front tire is really bold, to the point that if it would start to rain, I would just pull over. Did my normal small ride up and down my county roads that is about 1 mile. Bike was doing great, brakes were good and bike was running very nice. Then I went out for the loop that is a 8 mil run around my area. Came back and bike just kept talking to me....It said ride. So I did, bike is really doing well and will be in my stable for some time.

The problem is this, now that I want to keep this bike I will have to get get rid of one of the other bikes. So I guess the V65 Sabre will have to do. I would rather ride the Intruder, or is that just for now as it was a project bike being completed high...hmmm

Simmy likes this.
  4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

The gas tank was still not fully cleaned. Had to pull it off again, let it sit for a week in the hot shed full of evapo rust. I then rinsed it and put a can of B 12 chemtool in it to rinse it out. Put some KBS tank seal in the tank. On day two of a3-4 day dry with a fan blowing over the filler hole. Hoping this works, sick of cleaning carbs on this bike. At least this one you can clan the carbs with all the cables still attached to it and the carbs still sitting on the bike.

5. faffi

faffi Active Member

I had a 1987 model with the straight (low) handlebars and 4-speed transmission. I liked having 4 speeds, since this tractor engine does not need more, but gearing overall was too short. The 5-speed have a noticeably taller top gear, which makes for more relaxed cruising.

:eek:

Presume you mean on the rims :D They are alloy, which is nice for keeping weight down, but that also mean flaking chrome. Especially if the bike has been parked on a concrete floor on its sidestand - apparently, something electro-ish is taking place that cause chrome to slip from aluminium. Crankcases were also noticeably affected on my bike.

I loved the engine, but handling was naff, and cornering clearance severely limited. I played with the idea of altering the rake and fit the front end from a GSX1100G as well as the rear wheel off that. Along with longer shock absorbers, it could have made for an unusual cafe racer. In the end, though, it just was not worth the effort for me, so I sold it on. New owner has so far kept it for 15 years, so he must be happy with it.

Attached Files:

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes my bad with the rims and tire wording...lol

I see from the pic that yes looks like you have some longer shocks on there. I am not too sure what I will do with the bike as I am looking at a Yamaha Raider for my fun bike but have not pulled the trigger yet. Do I really need a Raider? lol

7. faffi

faffi Active Member

I fitted slightly longer than stock Progressive 412 shocks. I found their performance mediocre.