1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 Yamaha Seca

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Tiavarone, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Tiavarone

Tiavarone New Member

Hello all,
    I am new to the forum, I recently just purchase a 1982 Seca 750. I am look to swap out the bars to drag bars. I haven't pulled the plastic coverings off yet as I am working on getting it running right at the moment. I wanted to know if there was anything I should know ahead of time and how involved is the swap? Any recommended bar manufacturers? Also I saw in a previous post that the bar diameter is 7/8 and about 29inches wide is this correct?

This forum has been super helpful to me so far, and I appreciate all the knowledge you all have put on here.

Best,
    Tim

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

The problem with this is on the Seca 750 the front brake master cylinder is cable actuated dropping this will change the length . The alternative would to be eliminate this set up and mount a conventional master cylinder from a Maxim might be an option but you have to be aware of the angle. The other thing is the choke and throttle cable need to be shorter , sorry can't tell you what length .

Tiavarone likes this.
  3. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Binning the remote cylinder would be a plus, but the maxim master is for a single disc isn't it?

4. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

@Tiavarone - whatever you do, please don’t throw away those plastic handlebar covers.

Jetfixer likes this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The best Yamaha master cylinder to fit in this case would be for the one for the 650 Turbo, or the 650 Seca. Both are dual disc.

Jetfixer and Tiavarone like this.
  6. k-moe

Heck no he shouldn't. A good set is actually worth something now. Probably enough to pay for a different master cylinder.

@Tiavarone, Don't throw away the bars either. They are unique to the model and are getting very difficult to find in a useable condition. I still have mine that might just be straightened someday if I ever decide to restore the machine.

7. faffi

faffi Active Member

Use this information as you like, but personally I find that using a master for single disc model on a twin disc model gives better braking performance. You will get a little more lever travel, but the effort to make the tire squeal will be greatly reduced. I would only do this with braided brake lines, as the flex of rubber hoses can cause too much lever travel for comfort.

8. Tiavarone

Tiavarone New Member

Why is that? Are people looking for them?

Jetfixer likes this.
  9. Tiavarone

Tiavarone New Member

Thanks guys you have been extremely helpful, I haven't done the bar swap yet but this gives me some good options. I have to go dig through my parts now to make sure I didn't throw the covers away . Regardless I'll make sure to hold onto the bars, for anyone that would like them when I do the swap.

10. Tiavarone

Tiavarone New Member

Hello all,
    I've been working on getting my seca 750 road worthy and have rebuilt the carbs, put new tires on it, replaced the blinkers, replaced the rear brake switch, done a new head gasket (checked my valve clearances) and put a new drum brake in now my biggest gremlin is my front calipers are completely seized, pads are still good though lol.

My local shop told me the only bikes I could pull the calipers from a 1982 xv920 and a 1982 xj650 seca. I located a pair of 1981 seca 750 calipers would these fit up, they look identical I don't want to buy the wrong parts.

Love you

11. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Why new calipers? They are easy to disassemble, clean and reassemble with replacement parts. You would then have original calipers that are like new instead of replacing with used.

Tiavarone likes this.
  12. faffi

faffi Active Member

Oh, forgot about the angled thing. For a straight-ish set of bars, you can use the master cylinder from the standard model XS400 if you want to use one made for a single disc, or from the standard model XS1100 if you want one from a bike with a twin disc setup. Plus a huge range of other bikes, of course.

13. Tiavarone

Tiavarone New Member

I was thinking the same thing, regardless I plan on doing the work myself. However, the shop said they where so rusted it's not worth salvaging and I should replace them. Currently they are still on the bike I haven't look at them myself but the shop said the right caliper will barely make contact with the disk and the left caliper won't move at all.

14. Tiavarone

Tiavarone New Member

My thoughts where if I at least know what bikes I can pull replacements from at least I will have options if I can't restore them.

15. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

The calipers are aluminum, not sure if the pistons can rust. Otherwise the pins and pad plates could rust, maybe the spring clips too. All replaceable items.

faffi and Tiavarone like this.
  16. Tiavarone

Tiavarone New Member

Good to know i am definitely going to be pulling them apart and assesing them before making any decisions, but in terms of complete replacements would those 1981 Seca 750 calipers fit up?

17. k-moe

@Tiavarone,

Are both of your threads for the same motorcycle? If so I’ll merge them to reduce confusion.

18. Tiavarone

Tiavarone New Member

Both threads? I'm confused.

19. k-moe

This one, and the other one (link below)
    1982 Yamaha Seca

20. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

XJ550 models use the same front calipers, but of course the they use only 1 caliper per bike, but the Maxim use the a left-side caliper only, while the 550 Seca uses a right-side caliper only (XJ550 models outside of North American use both a left and right side caliper). XJ1100 models use the same front calipers as the XJ750 Seca, as does the 1982 XS1100 Midnight Special models, and any 1981-83 XJ750 Seca uses the same calipers as your 1982 model does (as well as any 1981-83 "XJ750" models outside of North America).

You need to run away from your local shop, they only get things right half of the time (1982 XV920, and it's only the "J" model that has the same calipers; the 1982 XV920RJ uses a completely different caliper system). The XJ650 Seca models are a whole different ballgame, too.

Tiavarone and faffi like this.