1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Re-re-reviving my '81 Seca 750

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Oblivion, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Dlawson20

Dlawson20 New Member

Is it possible you are bleeding off more fluid than the master is able to draw back in? Try cracking the bleeder real fast open,close/on,off like flicking a light switch quick.

2. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

After all that, I had solid brakes this morning. Even left the string off for a while and still good. There's a little slop at the start of pull, but I'm starting to wonder if it was always like that and/or can come out with cable adjustment. I'm just so used to my other bike.

So, I rode dirty (no fairing, thus no headlight/turn signals - again, do as I say, not as I do) up and down my quiet residential nearly-dead-end street a few times. Other than that dang collector rattle, she's sounding and feeling great. SUCH a different feeling from my 250, though. Different lever angle and pull (easily 2-finger clutch and brake the 250), much lower (though still upright) seating. Footpegs further back. What a flashback after not riding it for 11 years.

Still have a few issues I'll need to sort before a real ride, such as a sticky side-stand switch (I've had to lube it in the past), and get the fairing on, but I'm feeling a lot better than even 18 hours ago.

Franz, Jetfixer, chacal and 1 other person like this.
  3. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Has anyone come up with a decent way too recondition these mirrors?
    PXL_20220908_151232195.jpg

4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Yes mask off the mirror glass , I used 600 grit sand paper wet sanded surface. Primed and let dry and sprayed with semi gloss black paint .

5. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Sounds reasonable. Another winter project. Thanks for the suggestion.

For some reason I had in my head they were originally a bit rubberized, so was thinking something like spray-on plasti-dip. But plain paint is likely much more durable.

(And yes, I just happened to be on the site when you replied, thus the quick turn-around. :) )

6. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Some crappy pics are on my phone (I’m on iPad), but I got the fairing back on tonight, as well as all of the side panels and such and made the all-important ride to my buddy’s house, yes even after 11 p.m. I was the first house he drove to when he got his license and vice versa. Always the first stop for a new car, truck, or motorcycle. So good. After that, I hit a gas station for a full tank, with a couple 60 MPH runs.

Just as I was thinking the clutch was feeling a bit sloppy, pulling away from a light, shifting into third, the clutch lever came all the way to the handlebar. Luckily, being so late, there was no traffic, so I was able to clutchless downshift back to second, and pull into a Costco gas station. Though it was closed, the bright lights were still on and a perfect place to troubleshoot.

Turns out the cable didn’t break, just came out on the bottom end, somehow getting by the little safety tab. I got it back in place and reset the slack for an uneventful ride back home. I also took the opportunity to take out some slack in the rear brake pedal, too. Did I really ride it like that before?

Also had the headlight cut out for a second (on a very well-lit road) due to the 9-pin fairing plug not being fully seated - something I’d seen before when messing with things, so not a big surprise.

On my 10 mile jaunt, a few things hit me - the 750 is a good bit louder at speed than the 250 thumper. It also reacts to tar snakes more puckeringly. But it gets to the WR’s top speed with only a couple gears and doesn’t FEEL as fast. And yeah, both handlebar sweep and more-tucked knees are going to take some getting back used to.

She fit like a glove that hasn’t been worn in 11 years. Familiar, but a bit crinkly.

7. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Did another 30 or so miles this morning. Shifting this versus my 250 is like shifting a 1973 Chevy 1 ton pickup versus shifting a semi-modern sports car. You have to work harder for it, but it pulls so good. And said good, Even without the new pads made it to the rotors yet. Can two finger break. And with a little more workout, two finger clutch as well. Started a bath, but had to go pick up my kid from dance class. PXL_20220910_040038111.MP.jpg PXL_20220910_040043327.MP.jpg PXL_20220910_044944592.MP.jpg PXL_20220910_160001150.MP.jpg

Franz and Jetfixer like this.
  8. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

BIG fairing. KG luggage / backrest system? Looking good......

9. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

No luggage just a sissy bar and rack, But yes, KG, well spotted. Originally the fairing had a stereo mount too, but I never got it working right so I ditched it. Craig Vetter disavowed this faring, though it is loaded with Vetter branded parts. Mentioned further upstream that it looks like this was a Yamaha XS 1100 special run.

10. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

If anybody has suggestions for replacing the rubber inserts on the KG luggage rack, I'm all ears.

11. Jetfixer

Hers is mine I have the hard luggage set up .

Attached Files:

Oblivion likes this.
  12. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Rode it to my 30th high school reunion last night. Seemed appropriate. The bike performed perfectly. I’ve got about 75 miles on that first tank of gas so far. My old eyes have a bit of a time seeing that speedo needle at night, though. Need a repaint on that thing.

13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Bike is looking good.

Jetfixer and Oblivion like this.
  14. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

First commute in progress. Got me here just fine. Sadly, all that extra iron (frame) was no better at setting off the traffic lights than my little 250 is. LOL.

Attached Files:

15. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Better top end though!

Jetfixer likes this.
  16. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Loads better. To be at 60 and have plenty to roll on without even downshifting . . . is nice.

Simmy and Jetfixer like this.
  17. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

With about 200 miles on the rebuild, I had my first breakdown. Well, second if you count the time the clutch cable noped out. About 3/4 of the way to work, on a turn, she started missing a little. At the next light, I pushed all of the spark plug caps to make sure they were seated and it ran smooth again. Made one stop, and it started fine and dandy. Then about 2 miles from work, it REALLY started acting up. I thought about trying to limp in, but decided to pull off in a landscape company's driveway, where I could get plenty of space from traffic.

At first, I tried pulling each plug cap in turn to see if I could isolate the missing cylinder, buy each pull killed the engine instantly. Got out the toolkit to start pulling actual spark plugs and look for a wet one. I pulled 1&2 then noticed my inline fuel filter looked a little 'empty,' so got distracted by that. I pulled the tank and found the petcock was acting fine, the filter just had a weird bubble, so I went to pull the 3 & 4 plugs. And bam!

2022-09-15 11.10.48.jpg

The cap came right off the wire in my hand. Reseated thte cap on the wire and made it the rest of the way to work with no problem. Figure I should also be able to get home. Guess that settles my debate on what to do vis-a-vis resistor plugs vs. caps. I SHOULD probably just replace the coils while I'm at it, too, right? Hey CHACAL!!!!!

Granted, I didn't hear any bikes pass while I was disabled, but I was a little bummed no one stopped to check on me - though I had the situation well in hand. Glad to have the ol' Yamaha tool kit, but kind of wish I'd also thought to pack my multi-tool in case I need to trim some wire to get home. Also broke the clamp on my fuel line petcock connection, so note to self, put zip-ties back into the tailbag after the last clean-out!!!

18. Jetfixer

I run Honda CB750 coils , these have replaceable plug wires and these coils can still be bought newand mount like stock coils . Cycle Recycle part 2 has these they are 39.95 each they also have plug wires and caps . I have used these on both my Seca's very happy with them. These coils are Hitachi which are the same manufacturer of stock coils.

Franz and Oblivion like this.
  19. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Put a hundred miles on today with no problem from the spark plug wire, but I'll still look to replacing. Also dropped the latest batch of oil in preparation for repacking the clutch. I know if you put it on the side stand you don't need to worry about the oil, but I had Seafoam in there so I wanted to clear it out anyway. Came out nice and water like after a hundo.

By the way, I think I found my exhaust rattle.
    PXL_20220916_193102747.MP.jpg PXL_20220916_193113117.MP.jpg
    Paging @chacal . . .

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  20. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

We have replacement clamps available:

HCP10714 Aftermarket chrome-plated header pipe outlet-to-collector inlet PINCH CLAMP, complete with attaching hardware, use 1 per pipe, for all XJ750 Maxim, Midnight Maxim, 1981-83 XJ750 Seca, and XJ750 Euro models. NOTE: original clamps are spot-welded onto pipe; spot weld must be broken to remove original clamps! Each:

Oblivion likes this.