1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Re-re-reviving my '81 Seca 750

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Oblivion, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Do we think that crack in the collector collar is going to be a problem or will the clamp deal with it?

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Well, it's kinda hard to tell just from the picture, it sorta depends on how sound the metal around that crack still is. Honestly, it looks like that collector is sort of reaching its expiration date,you may be able to "get by" for now with a new clamp, but eventually it will need replacing (based on the pictures).

3. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

In other news, working on repacking my clutch, the posts for the springs have some pretty deep grooves, one moreso than the others. How bad is this?

PXL_20220918_233732327.MP.jpg PXL_20220918_233700499.MP.jpg

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

First time l have seen spring damage to the posts. Looks like the pressure plate was moving allowing the springs to press on the posts. Marks look superficial in the bottom photograph. I would replace it if it was my bike but l am not an engineer.

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

No the pressure plate would be unlikely to move looking at a photo from my manual.

16635506151955726210628610431670.jpg

6. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Interestingly, on the reassembly photos, the Haynes manual shows similar wear on both the basket fingers and the spring towers, with zero mention of addressing it as an issue. Huh.

PXL_20220919_134026883.MP.jpg

7. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Clean it up with some scotchbrite and reassemble.

8. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

That was another assessment I got as well. I'll get after it this evening. Wife's going to start wondering where all those green pads went . . .

9. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Got the baskets cleaned up a good bit last night. Scotchbrite for most of it, but there were a couple bigger burrs I hit with 1500 grit wet/oiled paper. The mosquitoes started swarming and I didn't want to rush the reassembly job, so I'll hopefully get to it tonight.

2022-09-19 18.40.56.jpg 2022-09-19 19.05.45.jpg

Jetfixer likes this.
  10. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Well gang, I messed up. Didn't feel like working on the bike tonight, but I did anyway, and I regret it.

Things were going well, had the new gasket prepped, had all the parts soaking in oil and slapped all of the plates on. Bolted up the pressure plate and . . . I snapped bolts. I'm going to say it was a combination of a crap Harbor Freight torque wrench (zero doesn't line up on zero, so was I at 7.2# or 12.2# or somewhere in between?), using the wrong tool for the job (should have gone to inch-pounds instead of using the bottom end of the foot-pound wrench's range), and not stopping when things felt wrong. I finger tightened then got out the torque wrench, progressing in a star pattern. Never did click. Just when I was thinking, "Man, that's a lot of turns," the first bolt snapped. I cussed, then went to start backing off the others and a second snapped (not the one I was loosening, but one next to the first). So mad at myself, as I once did this with an oil filter bolt on my 250 - small torque needed, wrong wrench used. SO mad. That one was easy to fix, as I just had to remove the filter cap and enough of the bolt was sticking out I could back it out with pliers.

PXL_20220922_013134466.MP.jpg
    But things went from bad to worse. I got one broken bolt extracted, but as I was working on the second, the ez-out came lose, wedged against the thread, and the bolt tower chipped.
    PXL_20220922_030539021.MP.jpg
    REALLY should have just gone to bed.

So, @hogfiddles remember that inner basket we decided I didn't need? Gonna need you to check if you have one - or I can put an APB in the Wanted section.

Please don't berate me, I'm already kicking my own rear enough, but someone, please learn from my mistakes. Ugh.

Going to have to add to and finally get that order in to @chacal as well. *big sigh*

Also going to need a 29mm socket. The hub nut is 29mm, right?

Attached Files:

11. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Hub: yes, 29mm socket.

Hub: yes, we have some good used ones, as does Dave I'm sure.

Beration: I'd bet that there is no outside entity that could berate you as much as you are probably doing to yourself right now. Luckily baskets are easy to replace and somewhat inexpensive.

Andrew Nichols likes this.
  12. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Thanks for calming me down a bit. Since I need to get other stuff from you anyway (hub bolt and safety washer are to be replaced, yes? And new bolts, of course, and those other things I'd priced out), I'll probably just go with yours. I think Dave had said he'd have to dig around a bit to see what he had. Going to bed now, but I'll send you and updated parts list in the morning.

Thanks again.

13. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I’ll see what I got. I know I have several in parts engines, I may have one or two laying loose. I’ll look.

dfox

Oblivion likes this.
  14. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Not to make it worse ,I snapped two as well all I had to was take a pick and bolt came right out , no easy out needed .

15. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

This could happen to any of us. Don't get yourself down. This is what I call " paying for your education "

Oblivion likes this.
  16. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about a wee mistake like that. Easily done.

Oblivion likes this.
  17. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

I got the first out and the second most of the way there with just a fine screwdriver, but I think it was getting hung up on some mangled threads at the end. C'est la vie.

18. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Thanks, Dave. We'll see what Len has as well, I'll let you know if you should call off the dogs. Love this group.

19. XJ650inTexas

XJ650inTexas Active Member

Might as well replace the main drive bearing while the basket is out, assuming your clutch is the same as an XJ650 Maxim.

20. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Finally got my parts order together. Don't know the shipping fairies will have stuff to me by the weekend, but I hope to be rolling again soon. Been in the 50s the last couple days - it'll be nice to commute behind the windshield again instead of out in the open on the little 250.