1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Where do you guys get your parts?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by dews, Nov 20, 2022.

1. dews

dews New Member

Where do you guys get your parts? I need a new 1983 Xj750 Maxim wiring harness, and a Black Right side cover for the same model, but I can not find either of those on eBay. I have been slowly restoring this bike, but the old owner bought a 1982 xj750 Harness for it, and I can't figure out anything in the dash. With the Right Side Covers, I keep seeing left side covers selling, but no right ones? Why is that?

2. to the max

to the max Member

3. to the max

to the max Member

4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Contact xj4ever send Len an IM tell him what you need , his service is great.

5. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Things like a wiring harness are tricky, but here's my part-finding playbook:

- eBay. As you know, inventory and prices are unpredictable. Need to be patient and/or be willing to pay up for good stuff.
    - Parts bike. Have to be patient, but if you are patient and willing to do the work this can be a good option.
    - Wanted ad on this site. You never know what others might be willing to part with.
    - xj4ever.com - @chacal does have some stuff that is not in the catalog, it never hurts to ask.

What is wrong with your wiring harness? Is it beyond repair?
    [edit] Nevermind, just saw that it was an 82 harness. The 82 and 83 instrument clusters are indeed very different.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  6. Dan Gardner

An 82/83 Maxim 650 harness may be closer than an 82 750 harness - at least the instrument cluster would be the same. I can't think of (off the top of my head) what would be different between the 82/83 650 Maxim and the 83 750 Maxim harness. Maybe somebody knows. Could also closely examine the wiring diagram and try to figure out what is different.

An 80/81 650 Maxim harness is not a good candidate since they had mechanical tachometers.

Whatever you do, if you have a good 82 750 Maxim harness, it is worth good money too. You should be able to trade or at least get close to even money if you have to buy one and sell the one you have.

7. Dan Gardner

Also, the Haynes manual with the wiring diagrams for all the 80/81/82/83 650s and 750s is a wise investment.

Of course it has loads of other great information too.

8. Dan Gardner

750 has two horns. That's a pretty solvable problem.

Anybody know what else is different?

9. dews

dews New Member

If that is the only difference, then it should work, I need to buy a new horn anyways because my low tone horn does not work

10. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Well, hold yer horses!! Horn: all original horns have a small "tone adjuster" screw on the back of the case (a locking nut holds it in position). In many cases a non-working horn can be brought back to life by loosening the locknut and working the adjuster screw in and out........or, even dis-assemble the horn and take a look at the innards, see if there is anything obvious wrong. They're simple to take apart.

Harness: the 1982-83 XJ650 Maxim and 1983 XJ750 Maxim harness differ in a few ways:

- 650's use a headlight relay, which the 1983 XJ750 Maxim does not. Now, this may not present a major issue (or could be by-passed), but.........

- the diode blocks (and their connecting shell wiring pinout) differ between the 2 models, probably in conjunction with the above relay issue.

- the handlebar control switch wiring is different, as the bikes use different types of control switches and different terminal connectors at the control switch/main harness interface. Although this could be overcome by either re-terminating the main harness (or the stock control switches) with the proper connector shells to match the harness used, the issue with differing diode blocks may also come into play here, too.

- and I'm going by (a poor and failing) memory here, but I think the 750 harnesses are a bit longer.......not by much (maybe 6-8") towards the rear of the bike. Wires can of course be extended.

The relay and diode block issue.......don't know how insurmountable that is........it's above my pay grade (at least, at 2am in the morning). Rooster53 might be able to give a more responsive answer to these issues.

P.S. have Haynes and OEM service manuals in stock, have a good used low-note horn available, and probably have a correct 1983 XJ750 Maxim harness. Used harnesses typically have a mess of the original fusebox wiring, so now would also be a good time to upgrade to a modern-style "blade" fusebox system, which we also offer.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    Stumplifter and Franz like this.
  11. Dan Gardner

OK, there you go. It seems like the best play might be to get the correct harness from @chacal and sell your 82 harness to offset the cost.

Jetfixer likes this.