1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

2003 Mean Streak 1500

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes found a winter project today. About time, been looking for a few months. I am getting much more selective now days so that does not help.

[​IMG]2003 mean 1 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Got her running today but the rear cylinder is ticking really bad. The plugs were nasty and the oil, well the PO was not a good maintenance person.

[​IMG]Mean plugs by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Really nice to have another project bike that is a metric in the shop.

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

What have I gotten my self into! Well, I was hoping that this bike might be like another bike of the same engine type I did in the past. Not a easy fist but new heads and some TLC and the bike was golden and I love it.

Not this one, I did a engine flush and that was the end of the engine. So for those of you who have not done this before let me warn you. If you find debris in your oil like I did and with this bike there is a oil screen on the bottom left of the engine. I pulled that and well.
    [​IMG]Oil screen by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    The oil was past nasty and that is why I wanted to do the flush.
    [​IMG]1 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    During the flush that should be done at a very slow engine speed and only for about 5 mins just to get the sludge moving...the bike stopped. Not a bad metal breaking stop, just stopped. Pulled the plugs and hit the starter and it turned over but something was very wrong.

Got a wrench out and started to turn the crank nut and could feel the engine was not really free turning. I thought for sure that Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR) that is on both cams had let lose and well that was that. Not the case.
    This is the pic of the front more well oiled KACR and the top of the spring is broken. This spring holds the lugs together and at slow starting speeds forces the exhaust valve not to fully shout. This allows the engine to spin faster and start with ease. Once the engine is started the RPMs to up and the force of the spinning cam allows the log to move and the valve with then shut fulling for normal operation.
    [​IMG]Front KACR spring by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Pic of the rear cam before I pulled it, see the nice bits for metal coming from under it.
    [​IMG]Rear cam damage by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    With the cam off, just one of the damaged areas on both cams.
    [​IMG]DSCN0016 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Now I have to take a long pause to see if I will trust a ebay or other full motor that could have the same top end issue or rebuild mine. Issues with mine was not just the top end, it was also I think the rear crank bearing went out. When I flushed the engine, all the oil started to get thinner and I would guess that the bearing then has full metal on metal and that was it. No movement now when putting pressure on the crank.

To rebuild? Get new used engine? Part it out and get my money back? What a great hobby....lol

3. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yikes! Is it salvageable?

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

The engine would take a lot of time and money. I am sure the crank is scored and the bearing is gone on the rear cylinder. I can no longer turn the engine by hand with the plugs our and the rockers off the engine. That is not good.

New used engine might be the only way to go. Blue book is still $4500 so I have some wiggle room. I just have to think on it. It is a nice bike and I really like the way it feels when you sit on it. Looks are good and for the most part everything else seems to be very nice on the bike. A used engine that is "guaranteed" to work will run me close to $1500 shipped.

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

After doing much reading and searching on ebay, I have a replacement engine coming. I talked to a few salvage yards and a few other well knowing wrenchers that work on this model. They say the time and money you will put in to fully rebuild the motor will not be worth it. If the motor nuked its self, there could be so many more issues to find when you get into the engine. I agree.

Putting the new/used engine in should be a plug and play and then see how it works. I have to admit taking this motor out compared to a XJ750 was so easy. Still love the XJ's and have to get to the steering head replacement soon .

Simmy likes this.
  6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Motor shipping in the next day or so. looking forward to putting in the bike and she how she runs. This bike will replace the Softail I will sell in the spring. So it is worth the extra engine money just to have a nice FI bike that allows me to take some corners at speeds I like.

Dave in Ireland and Franz like this.
  7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Been a while sense I have posted....sorry. Motor came in and had writing on the side of the engine that stated it was off a Vulcan 1500, but that was wrong. So got a hold of the seller and they asked it it has one or two wires coming off the stator area. It has one so that means it is the correct engine. Mean Streak engine only have one wire and the Vulcan series has double wires as they need more power to run all the stuff those bikes have.

The engine went int he bike very easy, one person job with a little engine jack and one ratchet strap to move the drive shaft spline into place. Once that was in the normal very small moments to make sure that the engine to frame locations all lined up.

The bottom of the bike is low, so I had to put the back tire on 6" of wood blocks just to remove and then install the engine. All the wires were plug and play. I still have to torque down all the bolts to proper specs but the motor does run very well.

Here she is will no air cleaner or exhaust shields on her.
    [​IMG]DSCN0010 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Removed all the smog stuff and put pair blocking kit on it from the broken engine.
    [​IMG]Pair block off plates 2 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Now comes the paper work. Yes no title for this one either. I will take care of that this week and then get that off to the DMV and hope to have everything ready by spring. I need to get the seat taken care of or get another one. For now I plan on only getting a different air intake but not too sure if I want to go nuts on the new exhaust.

8. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Good for you. I was thinking of inquiring about your progress just yesterday. And Happy New (motor) Year!

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got this bike because it was very close to me and it was a Vulcan. Having a Nomad 1600 I thought a Mean Steak (MS) would be a fun try. The MS has more aggressive cams and larger intake valves. The history of the MS is interesting as they have made the bike sesne 2002 up to 2016? Changed very little on the bike but got away from the 1500 engine do to plastic oil gear and a few other things. So having the newer 1600 MS engine in the 2002 frame. The seller said it was a 2003 but the frame is marked 09/02 so I guess 2002?

Getting it titled and on the road for this coming spring will be the test. I will either keep the bike or flip it. I am selling my HD Softail in the spring so this bike could be the replacement for that bike. I am so used to riding more aggressive bikes that I was lifting the rear tire off the ground going into corners with the HD. I am not willing to slow down for corners as of yet so I will just have to change motorcycles to suit my riding needs.

Simmy likes this.
  10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Paper work came in the mail today. Got a hold of the bond folks and ready to mail it back in already. I was wondering how long it would take Wisconsin DMV to do the paperwork over the Holidays....

Supper happy the Mean Streak will be on the rd this spring....when is that again...lol

jayrodoh likes this.
  11. Fuller56

I would be pretty sure your bike is a 2003 model year, just like the auto makers Kawasaki switched over early. Either way it looks like a fun ride. I have no experience with the v-twin cruisers or power cruisers. One of the nicer upgrades for the Kawasaki C10 Concours is to put a Mean Streak rear wheel on for better choice of tires. Not quite a bolt on but almost. Congrats on your paperwork! Someday it will be spring again.

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

All paper work signed and in the mail. So now to look for all the other little things the bike needs. I right rear foot peg as there is a floor board there now? That and a seat cover or a new used seat. Looking forward to being able to ride this bike. I would guess similar to my Nomad but might handle a little faster and have a bit more jump. Nomad is a supper heavy bike with all the bags, the Mean Steak is 647 lbs I think.

13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Been riding around the Mean Streak a bit. Very light bike for the 1600CC engine in the bike. I have to trouble shoot a vacuum leak as the bike is popping on the front cylinder at low RPM along with at cruising speeds. Besides that the bike is running very well.

The front brakes on this bike are outstanding. That 6 puck setup with the USD forks is just wonderful.

Side note, sold the 2002 Softail I had in the shed. Just not my type of bike. Looking for the next one that will take its place. Thinking of a Yamaha Raider 1900 but not too sure that is my kind of ride either.

14. PandorasJuiceBox

PandorasJuiceBox New Member

Sucks about your engine.

I love my 07 Mean Streak.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My bike pops while cruising at higher RPMs as well. I figured it was due to the air injection not being disabled after the exhaust change but you have the block off plates so I'm not sure on that one.
    [​IMG]

15. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

That is a great looking bike.

The 2006 engine is fine when you are on the throttle and pulling hard, no issues. It is when it is at idle or just off idle and then when you are cruising at speed. Hoping the new ECU takes care of that.

16. Fuller56

@Timbox , just a thought on the popping issue. I used to have an SV650 that would have the vacuum port cap disintegrate every couple of years. Always the front cylinder. Slip a new one on and like new. My ZG1000 does it too, always #3. If it is it would be a cheap & easy fix.

17. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes all the issues were from not one but two vacuum leaks. The timing advance hose had either fallen off or I never put it on during the engine swap. o_O One of the two IAC hoses was cracked and had fallen off the attachment nipple to the sensor.

Once those were put back on, started the bike and it runs so much nicer. Idle at 600 like nothing. Once the weather gets a little better get to take it back out and see if that was the true fix for the pop and surging. I would guess it was.

Franz likes this.