1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ550 Maxim rebuild/restore

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Wayne Passow, Jan 16, 2023.

1. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Great collection! The 550 is looking great. Good tip on the back to black, I repainted the wheels but never thought to try that.

Wayne Passow likes this.
  2. Wayne Passow

Wayne Passow Active Member

Cleaned and painted the starter yesterday and waiting for the rebuild kit. I had the armature turned by a friend and I recut the mica. He turned it a little deeper than I wanted but should be fine. Checks out electrically good. It was really full of carbon. At least it didn't look like the last one I rebuilt on the GS1100GL below. armature.jpeg

Cleaned and painted XJ550
    starter parts.jpeg
    This starter has an interesting planetary gear set up I have not seen before
    xj starter gear.jpeg

3. Wayne Passow

Its been busy, I have been working on the 73 Z1900 project. Got the rims and other bits back from the platers so laced trued and installed the tires. So now back to the XJ550 Bikes.jpeg

I cleaned the electrical harness and corrected a few things the previous owner screwed up. He had bypassed the kickstand switch. I replaced the switch and will be putting it back into the system. These are known to fail but will give it a try. I didn't like the looks of the old fuse box so I replaced it with a new reproduction. I decided to stick with the old type rather than installing a blade type holder. You do have to splice in the new fuse box as the original is hardwired directly to the fuse box. You can see the plug to the left of the new unit.
    On to the carbs.
    electrical.jpeg
    The carbs are in a sorry state. so a complete rebuild is in order. I will be contacting Len at XJ4ever.com for carb parts. I got the carbs disassembled. For you guy who do this when revving the butterfly plates those two small screws can be a problem. Make Sure you have JIS drivers. IF THOSE SCREWS DONT BUDGE STOP BEFORE YOU TOTALY STRIP THE HEAD. My method is take your drill and use a 1/16 drill bit and center it in the head and drill completely through that screw. Now you should be able to loosen that screw as it has released the tension on the threads. It should back out fine if you have not destroyed the head. if you cant get it out go to a 5/64 drill bit and drill through. Th e head should pop out. You may have to wiggle the remaining threads out but they should come out. If the bit was centered your threads will be in good shape.
    dirty carbs.jpeg
    disassembled carbs.jpeg
    After some time in the ultrasonic cleaner things are looking better. There was actually sandy grit caught in the main nozzle. I think this bike ran with a very dirty air cleaner or without one.
    clean carbs.jpeg

I forgot to mention the previous owner screwed up a float bowl. I couldn't get one of the drain bolts out as he totally screw the head and I couldn't drill it out so a new left side bowl is on its way.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    Rooster53 and Franz like this.
  4. Wayne Passow

This is what was in the emulsion tube. Fine particulate of sand. I don't know how this bike continued to run. I never tried to start it when it was delivered to me but I guess the guy rode it over to the place where it was picked up from.
    emulsion tube.jpeg

5. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

wow

6. Wayne Passow

I finished installing the the new output shaft gear and bushing on the outputs aft and looked a little closer at the main shaft.
    output shaft in case.jpeg

I found the 6th gear to have some interesting wear. I thought no problem because I have another that looks better.

xj gear.jpeg

So I pressed both off and found this on the replacement gear. Yes the teeth are much better but what I thought was grease or dirt build up was actually a gear that was eating into the shaft. Its interesting Yamaha did not put a thrust washer where that gear rides against. It rides directly against that splined surface. Back to the drawing board. As a note I reviewed every gear on eBay and all except one (I 'm waiting for better pictures)had similar wear on those teeth. Of course this is an obsolete gear. I would assume there is some cavitation in that gear set causing that type of wear. I was wondering why the mating gear was so black on the output shaft. Thing must of got plenty hot.
    worn gear.jpeg

7. Wayne Passow

Well I found A pretty good gear from a Radian transmission. I also decided to replace the large bearing. So the new gear has been pressed on along with the bearing. Now the only thing holding me up to close the cases are the rubber cushions on the primary shaft. Hopefully they will arrive next week.
    transmission.jpeg

I also received my carb parts from XJ4ever.com. Everything was very well marked. The new diaphragms went on good along with all the other parts. I did have on problem with one of the new choke plungers. A new one will be on its way so I can complete the carb bank. Of course I will need to bench set the carbs and check the fuel height before mounting but they are all clean. I may take the bowls off and polish them but they are pretty much tucked up in there and cant see much of them.
    I plan on running a MAC 4 into 1 so I was thinking of going up one size on the main and pilot jet to start. These bikes were on the lean side anyway so we will try the larger jets first.
    If anyone has run the MAC pipes let me know what you ran for jets.
    carb parts.jpeg
    carb out.jpeg
    carb inlet.jpeg

Andrew Nichols, chacal and Rooster53 like this.
  8. XJ650inTexas

XJ650inTexas Active Member

Those are perfectly cromulent carbs

9. Wayne Passow

While waiting on a few engine parts and my head work to be completed I decided to get the cylinder block and cam chain adjuster painted. cylinder.jpeg

Franz, Dan Gardner and Rooster53 like this.
  10. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Lookin' good Louis!

What type of solvent/cleaner are you using in the ultrasonic?

11. Wayne Passow

I have been using a general cleaner from Sharpertek they recommend for carbs. I clean anything I can fit in the ultrasonic. Beats using the solvent on the smaller items
    https://www.sharpertek.com/12decacl.html

12. Wayne Passow

Well I just heard from Len at XJ4ever.com and the last of my transmission parts have arrived and are on the way to me. Im running out of things to take care of which is a relief. I decided to mount the tank badges I received a long time ago from xj4ever.com. They mounted up nicely with just the smallest of modification to the screw locations. Thanks to my partner who lets me keep precious things in our guest bedroom. Reminds me of the days I used to store girders/springers and all sorts of motorcycle stuff in my apartment bedroom back in the 70's.
    tank.jpeg

I found these 550 maxim emblems on eBay after searching for months with no luck. Then one day there they were. These are cast from some type of metal with 3 location pins rather than the stock plastic ones with adhesive so I will wait to mount them when the bike is complete and the covers are in the proper position . These were not cheap but are very well made in Australia. haven't seen any since.
    emblems.jpeg

Andrew Nichols likes this.
  13. Wayne Passow

This is a bike I started to build when I was 17-18 shortly after getting my motorcycle license. Been working on bikes ever since. It had gone through several changes and this was the final version after 3-4 years. The engine was a 71 CB750. I took my mothers car to a larger Honda dealer to see if I could buy just an engine. Well they had several almost new bikes sitting there but no engine. What did I know I was just a kid excited to build a chopper. Well I managed to talk them into selling me just the engine. So about 2 hours later I loaded that engine in the back seat of the family car which was still dripping oil all over the place. Those were the days. I was working at a custom shop part time so I did have some discount on parts. I was also working several other jobs to support that habit.
    71custom-1 copy.jpg

I was in the military by then and purchased my first Z1 900 In SanDiego in addition to the bike above. Had it painted after it was stolen and crashed off the naval base. That paint job cost me $99 back then. I rode that Z1 back to Minneapolis with another friend on his Z1. We did that trip from SanDiego to Minneapolis is 36 hours in October of 75. He fell asleep in Iowa about 2 am and lucky the edge rumble strips woke him up. Just thought you might like the stories
    74Z1leftsidecustom.jpg

14. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Great pics and story!

15. Wayne Passow

Its been a little slow so I decided to bleed the front brakes today. I have brakes. The master cylinder was rebuilt along with the caliper. I got new hoses from XJ4ever.com.
    master cyl.jpeg

caliper.jpeg

Another area I have been trying to improve is the piston / cylinder problem without spending a lot of money. I honed my bores as much as we could using my original pistons and the clearances are just a tad more than what I would have wanted. Now I could have purchased new liners and have them bored and honed to my pistons but again a little more than what I want to pay. Also I could have purchased 4th oversize pistons and rings plus bore and hone but again$$$$. I would but new stock pistons but you cannot find them. Only ones available are 4th over. along with rings. There is one in the UK but I need two. I had one original piston that measures 2.2415 which gives me .003 clearance which I marginal as the manual states .0039 as the max, the other 3 were smaller which gets me over .004, not good.I would like to be .001-.0015. My first thought was maybe I could find a cylinder block with better bores. I checked 3 locally and they were all pretty much identical to what I have. I started to look for pistons and I found 3 locally and to my surprise 2 measured 2.2443
    and 2.243. Stock should be 2.244. So that gives me 2 that will have clearance of .0015 or less. I also ordered 2 pistons from eBay and found another that gives me .003 clearance. So this is what I have now
    There are a few on eBay that I'm trying to get them to give me accurate measurements but I'm not holding my breath. If I have to I will run those two at .003 and be done with it. So if anyone has a few XJ550 pistons laying around let me know. I sure would like to tighten up the clearance on the other two bores.
    pistons.jpeg

Dave in Ireland likes this.
  16. Wayne Passow

Well a few days ago I got my new starter clutch dampers from Len at XJ4ever.com. Those dampers were really hard and loose so the new ones should improve the shock load. Got the transmission installed along with the crank.
    trans 2.jpeg

I like to do a few trial runs with the lower case before I seal it up. I check the transmission to make sure it shifts through all the gears. I did this before I installed the crank. Everything works to my liking. One problem I had was the shifting forks were flopping all over the place, it was difficult to align all three so they slid into their proper places, so I came up with a solution to make it a bit easier fitting the lower case once you have the sealant in place. You just have to pull the rod once the fingers are in place and then snip the rubber bands. I forgot( a lot of things going on during the assembly process) and the rod got bent a bit on the gear. It did come out with a bit of persuasion. I used an aluminum welding rod which was very pliable.
    trans 1.jpeg

I like to use Loctite 518 sealant when doing cases. Its an anaerobic solution which cures in the absence of air so you have plenty of time to get those cases together. I have used all the others, Hondabond, Yamabond, Suzibond and while they all work well I always felt like I needed to rush because that stuff start to cure and get a skin as sone as it is squeezed from the tube. So the cases are together and the crank spins freely with an ample amount of assembly lube in all the critical places. I like to use CRC Moly assembly paste.
    trans 3.jpeg
    Im waiting on a clutch holding tool to tighten the nut on the starter shaft and the clutch shaft. I thought I had ordered that tool but I forgot that both of those nut were pretty loose when I took it apart and of course none of the other EBC clutch wrenches I have will work with this engine. I don't like those finger tools so I ordered one.
    So on to the cylinders. I have one bore which is .0005 to tight so I need to hone that.

chacal likes this.
  17. Wayne Passow

I decided to install the lower unit. Now I could have just lifted this engine on to the platform that I use to install my Z1900 engines but its easy to pull your back muscles. The Z1 is quite a bit heavier. Its a one man show and I don't need to be scratching up the frames. Hear is my sequence
    I load the engine on the scissor jack in the low position
    install 1.jpeg
    Then I slide it on the the platform which is slightly higher than the lower frame
    install 2.jpeg
    Then I move the jack to the center and slide the engine over on to it
    insatll 3.jpeg

Then I can lower it in a controlled manner without scratching the new powder coat.
    install 4.jpeg

I temporary installed the covers . I had to remove starter also before I slid it into the frame. On this engine you have to remember to install the air box before the engine. I couldn't figure out how to get that air box out before the engine. Now I have a week to wait until I can do anymore. I guess I could clean up the bit of case sealant a bit.
    I forgot to mention I replaced all the insulator rubbers for the engine mounts. I purchased those from XJ4ever.com. The originals were pretty hard and crusty. On my 85 Venture Royal it had similar mounts but most guys switched over to solid mounts that were available as an aftermarket item. On that bike those mounts were pretty much toast after a few years. I was tempted to make solid mounts for this bike but decided not to.
    covers.jpeg

18. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Man that is nice looking!

19. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Geez, that looks nice! Now I know where all the patience and attention to detail is that I don't have.....you got it all! Nicely job, Sir!

Andrew Nichols likes this.
  20. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Great work and love the engine stand.