1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 XJ750 Brakes

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by wesley shriver, Apr 18, 2023.

Tags:
  1. wesley shriver

wesley shriver New Member

Hi! I bought my bike recently, fixed the carbs and got it running. I realized the front brakes weren’t working so I bled them. Now that I bled them they are seized up. Any ideas on where to start with fixing them?

Alternatively, is there an aftermarket brake setup that I could buy to replace the original?

2. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Do you have a Maxim or a Seca? Big difference. Maxims have a "normal" master cylinder and the Secas have a remote master that is down on the fork leg, I think it is cable operated. The Maxim m/c is easier to get at to rebuild. Most likely with either one there is some degraded brake fluid crud that has clogged the return port in the master. Check with Len at XJ4EVER ( upper right corner of this page) for info on his page and replacement parts. If anyone has them he does. His page should have info about the how to also.

3. wesley shriver

wesley shriver New Member

Hey thanks for the feedback. I have a Seca. I’ll see if I can get the lines cleaned out. That sounds like a good starting place. Thanks!

4. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Most likely the brake lines are the originals so about 40 years old and not so good, safe condition. Best plan is to replace them. I suspect the problem with your brakes is in the master cylinder though. The old brake fluid brakes down into a semi solid goo that will clog the small ports in the master cylinder. Also it absorbs water out of the atmosphere and rusts the steel parts of the system. The master cylinder needs to be disassembled and cleaned and most likely new seals installed. Not just new brake lines, but they are needed too.

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I would change the seals in the calipers too.

6. Melnic

Melnic Active Member

I bet you need new brake lines plus a MC and Caliper rebuild which means rebuild kits for both. Hopefully your pistons are not pitted. If so, those need to get replaced too.
    that was my case. New piston (Maxim) , brake lines, rebuild kits. I know someone with an XS and his piston was clean as a whistle.

7. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

XJ750 Maxim caliper pistons and seals are different from each other.......