1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Been working on bike , I added a dual port USB charger , with a built in volt meter , very cool . To make it work ran directly to battery , and put a switch on the leads . Still have not decided where to mount it . I tried to put leads on the fuse block , but I could not get consistent voltage . The other chore I had was the valve cover seaping on the left side . Swapped out the spare engine cover , installed and started up , seemed to be running on three cylinders . I quickly found out number four plug wire came out of the coil. I use Honda CB750 coils that have replaceable wires , so got it back in all good .

Attached Files:

2. Jetfixer

Finished mounting micro switch for new USB charger and reinstalled fairing . Of course it is cold out and raining . Next I want to work on my 100$ bike , still cant get front brakes to work , wont bleed and even swapped out master cylinder. I rebuilt both brake calipers so need to look into it more.

3. XJ650inTexas

XJ650inTexas Active Member

Took a buffer and some rubbing compound to the tail light housing and it's nice and clear again.

Andrew Nichols likes this.
  4. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

Tire day
    20230429_155338.jpg

5. XJ650inTexas

Took a two hour joy ride around town and am still amazed at how much better it rides with the new fork springs. Night and freaking day difference - no more bottoming out and so much smoother over dips and bumps.

Uxbridge Brule and Jetfixer like this.
  6. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    @McTavish it looks like you surely got your money's worth out of the Bridgestone!

Franz and Uxbridge Brule like this.
  7. JMark

JMark Member

Saw it there, looks great!

8. Robert24b

Robert24b New Member

Sanded bodywork and prepped for paint.

9. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Pulled the forks on my 650 maxim to refresh the oil. Should have waited for the new seals to arrive but I had an inkling this might be a twice over job amyway. Found one mudguard mount had a snapped off bolt in it ( covered with epoxy?), and some smelly oil, and one spring upside down. Anyway once I'd machined out the bolt end on my mill, I filled with straight 20 fork oil, changed the tyre and took it for a run - much improved, maybe the straight 20 will do the trick..
    Easy enough to do, but should have waited for the seals...

JMark and Jetfixer like this.
  10. Brandon Spencer

Brandon Spencer Member

Back to the Church of Clean on my carbs! Fully disassembled & ultra sonic cleaned.

Found out the enrichment jet in each bowl is super clogged; for sure the reason why this thing never starts cold. Going over carb parts list and realizing my jet needle is one which is not recommended to use - Y403s. Could explain a number small running issues.

Got those bowl jets cleared out today with heat, air & lots of carb cleaner.

Ordered some parts from Len!

Dan Gardner, Huntchuks, Franz and 2 others like this.
  11. XJ650inTexas

My god, the streets in Dallas are absolutely littered in garbage. Went out to ride this a.m. but picked up a nail in the rear tire at some point yesterday. Had to replace the rear innertube on my Honda a couple weeks ago because of a staple in the tire. There is some sort of screw in the rear tire of my Tundra right now, same tire I had to replace three months ago because of irreparable damage from a screw/bolt. I'm like a moving magnet or something.

Jetfixer likes this.
  12. Andrew Nichols

Andrew Nichols Active Member

Hang a magnet in front of your wheels to catch the screws before they get stuck in the tires....

13. Andrew Nichols

Andrew Nichols Active Member

I now have half of my Secas in the garage (wife let's me have the whole garage in the summer). The 550 on the left is for sale and I should have the red 900 for sale by next week after some prep work. IMG_20230507_115649.jpg

14. JMark

JMark Member

Not me checking my bank account and realizing it won't be this time around for that 900...........

15. short_circutz

short_circutz Active Member

Installed my new geips today 20230508_130315.jpg

16. Jetfixer

Spent Sunday , replaced left controls, stripped and repainted clutch lever . The left control was broke for clutch cable attachment . While I was at it found the clutch cable was worn through the covering in a couple of places. Looked at my 100$ bike snd cable looked like new , so swapped them out. Finished the installation of the dual USB socket , I put a toggle switch to shut it off when not needed . This is pretty cool as it has a volt meter in it .

Attached Files:

17. Sean67

Sean67 New Member

I now have working signal lights again!
    I installed a 2 pin electronic flasher relay hoping to get my new LED signal lights working. I had to put on new pins and plug shells and all is good. I even have working hazard lights as I changed both left and right side switches/controls last week. Almost there. Only one more issue to resolve and I can take her out!

ksigurdsen and Andrew Nichols like this.
  18. aholeinthewor1d

aholeinthewor1d New Member

Quick question about front brakes.

Before anyone says anything YES I am replacing my brake lines, banjo bolts, crush washers, and also rebuilding master cylinder and caliper!

I took the lid off my master cylinder just to see what condition everything was in.
    After putting the lid back on the brakes were pretty bad and if you really squeeze you can get the lever almost all the way to the bars. I added some more brake fluid today but no change. Do I just need to pump the lever a few times, hold, and then crack open the bleeder?
    Only thing I can think of is that air got in there just don't know if it's an easy fix or if it's gonna turn into one of those pain in the add bleeding scenarios I've read about on here. Thanks!

Attached Files:

19. Melnic

Melnic Active Member

I'm no expert on how bad things can get on a bike cause until this winter, I've only done my cars and they were always purchased new or 3yrs old.

My XJ650 did not look much different than yours before I did all the work you mention (rebuild caliper/MC & brake lines). I cleaned it all up and it works fine. My brakes did not want to release so good before the rebuild. Works fine now. I even took plastic polish from a headlight restoration kit to the outside of the sight glass which was hazed over. Now I can see the fluid level.
    Just as a precaution, I have been checking my disk to see if its hot/warm at the end of the ride or if I stop somewhere. Plus looking for any brake fluid leakage. So far so good in the 300 miles I've ridden it since reworking things.
    Good Luck.

20. XJ650inTexas

Installed a modified shifter pawl arm, new gasket and oil seal from xj4ever, along with an oil/filter change (Lucas 20w50 conventional m/c oil) since it needed to be drained to crack the shifter case. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is sooo much smoother and going up and down through the gears is much improved as well. Finding neutral is a breeze now too. If the shifter on your XJ feels clunky you will be very pleased with this upgrade.

Shout out to Len and xj4ever for the outstanding part and service - sent my order and payment Monday, parts went out Tuesday and hit my doorstep today. The best!