1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'08 Yam. WR250R failed me today.

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Oblivion, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

For the first time ever, my titular (I just like that word) commuter didn't fire right up today. Cranked along, but no hint of a kick. Quick troubleshooting: turned off/on kill switch, sidestand, etc. (shouldn't even be turning over if that), checked for gas in tank. The trip mileage was high-ish, but the fuel light wasn't on. Fuel pump was priming when I'd turn on the key. Nothing and the battery was getting low. For fun, I put about a gallon of gas in from the lawnmower supply (not the right octane, but I'll deal with that later) and after letting the fuel pump prime a few more times, it finally fired up.

I didn't trust it enough to ride to work, so I brought the truck, but it's looking like it was a classic no-gas situation. Even though there was some gas. And the fuel light wasn't on. But we all know how reliable those are. Oh, and if you don't know the WR, it's got no reserve in the tiny tank. If you're out, you're out.

Thinking back, the last time I'd filled up was right before taking my kid for a ride last weekend. We didn't flog the bike, but it was more load than usual. So that might account for running low a bit sooner than usual (usually hit the light around 90 miles and I was at 75). I'd also started the bike for a new neighbor kid (4 year old already has a 50cc dirt bike w/ training wheels!) and let him rev it a few times. So . . . eh?

Hoping it sparks right up this evening.

Now, about that fuel light . . . .

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I would guess when you turn the key on it will go through a self test of the dash lights? I think most FI bikes and our vehicles do a light test when you turn the key on.

Hope that just the low gas fixes it. Have to get confidence back in the commuter bike.

3. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

I forgot I'd posted this here. LOL. It really behaved as a low fuel situation. I pulled the tank and tested the sending unit. Metered out OK. When I put it back on, the low fuel light behaved as expected. Have now been through another tank of gas and it acted fine. Stuck sensor float? Fuel pump didn't want to wake up that time? (When I was first trying, I already had earplugs/helmet on, and was next to a carpet-cleaning van at full tilt, so not sure it ran the customary 2-3 seconds or its longer timeout). When I drained the tank, I got some crud out, maybe a temporary blockage? Don't know. The '08 (first year) had a bad batch of fuel pumps, many replaced under warranty, but at 11k miles, I figure mine's clear of that.

Over winter, after I recover from my Seca rebuild, I'll drop the $300??? for a new pump/sending unit and keep the old one as a spare just for peace of mind. Unless, of course, my hand is forced before that.

4. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Happened again, nearly stranded at work. Definitely the fuel pump which has plagued other WRs. I got an aftermarket pump today for $40 as opposed to $350 for the OEM which is backordered anyway. Just took some minor surgery of the assembly since this was pump-only. Folks have been running these replacements a few years without issue, so I'm confident. Just waiting a couple more days for a new O-ring as the old left some troubling residue behind. Then I'll get her buttoned back up. PXL_20220826_225616827.MP.jpg

Timbox likes this.
  5. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Got the new o-ring yesterday slapped it all together and she started right up. Wasn't expecting it too because I couldn't even hear the fuel pump, it's so much quieter than stock. We'll see how long this one lasts. I finally get to ride again. Should be a gorgeous day.

Timbox likes this.