1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

17" wheels, aluminum swingarm with monoshock upgrade

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by LarryMc, Jul 19, 2018.

  1. LarryMc

    LarryMc Active Member

    Messages:
    284
    Likes Received:
    156
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Lakewood, WA
    20181122_145620.jpg
    Shortened up the kickstand by 1 1/2 inches. 20181122_145614.jpg
    New spring holder with no switch contact tab.
    These will be reinstalled tomorrow with new tension springs.
     
  2. Polock

    Polock Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    8,750
    Likes Received:
    1,426
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Beaver Falls, PA
    since i don't use the sidestand switch either , i put minimal thought into a rubber curb feeler type thing (remember curb feelers?) that would drag the pavement and flip the stand up. didn't some Hondas have that back in the day?
     
  3. LarryMc

    LarryMc Active Member

    Messages:
    284
    Likes Received:
    156
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Lakewood, WA
    I haven't bailed on this project, hit a roadblock or decided to give up on it. Simply put, I'm being stretched in three directions during my "off time" having three daughters with two of them in rival colleges and one in her last trimester of her third pregnancy. There was a time a few years ago when I didn't see them a lot and actually missed them. I was confused.
    I'll be putting this project behind me soon, I hope. Well see.
     
  4. LarryMc

    LarryMc Active Member

    Messages:
    284
    Likes Received:
    156
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Lakewood, WA
    A buddy of mine has had a sand blasting cabinet sitting in his shop doing nothing for some time now. He mentioned how he'd like to convert it into a vapor blasting setup. I can take a hint so I have been putting together a set up for him. I built a wet blasting cabinet for work several years ago but on a larger scale. This will be more of a hobbyists version but perfect for small stuff, namely carbs.
    My extra rack of carbs will be the test subject in getting it up and running. While I'm at it I figured I'd replace the shaft seals, emulsion tubes, enrichment plungers and springs, mixing screws and springs, diaphrams and give them a tune up with complete kits and new jets. The external hardware will also be changed out for black oxide hex button head type fasteners. I've been slowly stock piling parts for a while waiting for an opportunity like this.
    After they have been blasted, the carb pieces will be ultrasonicly cleaned for a complete cleansing before reassemble.
    In theory, they should be as close to new carbs as one could get. This little endeavour will lengthen my project time frame but will be beneficial in the long run.
    My current carbs are in fair condition being that the PO did some irreparable damage to them while messing with them. It's been time to address this issue for a while now. I'm so done with nursing these turds along and giving them extra attention. Good riddance. This is a welcome diversion with added benefits.

    I'll post some pictures of my little side venture of this project.
     
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  5. LarryMc

    LarryMc Active Member

    Messages:
    284
    Likes Received:
    156
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Lakewood, WA
    Ever so slightly vearing off the thread topic:
    The set of carbs I'm working on are your typical Mikunis from someone's pride and joy that they never rode. They claim that the carbs have less than 10000 kilometers or about 6200 miles on them. I bought them off the Canadian version of Craigslist called Kiijii for $100.00 USD.
    The rack looks as though it not been messed with too much. Your typical carb overhaul kit is about all these have recieved. With the Welch plugs still in tact and I'm sure the rack has never been apart. The mounting screws are not scarred up in the JIS cross slots.
    Internally they are good, the bowl bleed screws show signs of being operated. The PO claims the carbs were drained while the bike sat. I'm believing him.
    This is one of the carbs prior to tomorrows cleaning gauntlet.
    20181206_125018.jpg 20181206_125010.jpg 20181206_124957.jpg 20181206_124948.jpg
    I've seen much worse.....
     
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  6. LarryMc

    LarryMc Active Member

    Messages:
    284
    Likes Received:
    156
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Lakewood, WA
    Here's the same carb after vapor blasting, a soak in an aerated boiling hot Pinesol solution and ultrasonic cleaning in white vinegar and water. Spent a half hour blasting each carb after it was stripped. The soak time was a couple hours and the ultrasonic time was about an hour.
    After rinsing, the carb is protected with VHT matte clear.
    All the carbs and bowls look just like this one.
    I'm waiting on parts and new hardware to complete the rack assembly. When I get it fully assembled I'll post an image.
    20181208_171020.jpg 20181208_171235.jpg 20181208_171315.jpg
     
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    k-moe and Simmy like this.

Share This Page