1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1975 Honda CB125S to buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by CTSommers, Mar 15, 2006.

1. CTSommers

CTSommers Member

I was checking out craigslist and came across a 1975 Honda CB125S for $250. I’ve been thinking about buying it and using it as a shore bike down at the Jersey shore where the speed limit is 25MPH strictly enforced. What do you guys think should I go for it or just leave it be. I could also teach my girlfriend how to ride on this bike this summer and at the end of the summer just give it to her as a donation into the world of bikes. I don’t know but this thing looks fun, kick start, 293.2 pounds and I know if I do get this bike I’ll end up tearing it up on the beach at night even thought it’s not really designed for this activity.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/141913506.html

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_ ... c_1975.php

[​IMG]

2. geebake

geebake Member

For that price? How can you go wrong? You could certainly get your money back out if you wanted to.

Greg

3. Joel07

Joel07 Member

I agree, looks like it would be a fun little bike, and it'd be hard to go wrong for that price... :D

4. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    I'd have to agree...

I thought they used to have drum front brakes?

5. geebake

geebake Member

You mean as opposed to no front brakes?

6. woot

woot Active Member

no - as opposed to what appears to be a disk brake.

7. thefox

thefox Member

I think Honda switched over to a disk brake in the front of most of their bikes in 1973.

I would pick it up too, it's a great price, runs, and looks like it would be a blast. I love the little bikes!

8. Robert

Robert Active Member

I believe the gentleman is trying to point out there is no front caliper on this machine (at least not in the picture). Safety issue comes to mind. Looks like somebody forgot to replace the caliper. It does look like a sweet wingding for the beach, but be prepaired to pony up and get the front end brakes fixed. A caliper should run you around $30-40 off flea-bay and new lines would run about $50 (don't buy used lines if you can help it). If the master cylinder is still there, your set after you rebuild the caliper, install and bleed the sucker.

9. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

Good observation, I didn't notice the caliper missing.

10. Robert

Robert Active Member

If you intend on running it at the beach I would also suggest an investment in a front fender.

11. geebake

geebake Member

It was just a joke Woot. Didn't mean to offend.

Greg

12. woot

woot Active Member

me? none taken... :)

I still am working on my reading skills so I just assumed I missed something ;)

13. thefox

thefox Member

The ad says it comes with the front brake but it was "locked up" so it will need to be fixed.

14. Robert

Robert Active Member

Wonder what type of brake he is offering as the front brake. I'd give him a call and find out. If he has the drum parts, you have a project on your hands. If they are indeed the caliper type, you have a little project on your hands and you will need compressed air to free up the piston (unless you have access to a hydraulic test stand, in which case the piston could be welded to the caliper and we would still get it out!!). Good luck!

15. Nick

Nick Member

You could just hook up the one caliper to the brake line, bleed the air, and keep adding brake fluid as you "pump" the brake lever. This will force the piston out.
    I have dual calipers and a completely dissmantled system. Compressed air would not budge my pistons. I forced my pistons out with the use of a grease gun. Used a banjo bolt and washers to plug the "brake line" side, and forced the grease gun tip over the air blead fitting. Keep the air blead fitting open, and don't tighten the brake line side until the grease is visible. Once the banjo bolt is tight, pump the grease gun and the piston pops out.

16. CTSommers

CTSommers Member

I gave the guy a call and left a message asking where and when would be the best time to set up a test ride. I’m hoping sometime on Friday or Saturday. I don’t want to fight that traffic into New Jersey if it can be avoided. After doing some reading on the subject of the CB125s the front disc breaks do seems to be a weak spot on the bike. I bet a simple swap from a newer 1980’s Honda dirt bike break system from ebay would do the trick. I’ll also have to read about the newer CB125 Superdream that they made well into the 1980’s in the UK and see if they fixed the sub par breaks. Hopefully the guy has not sold it yet.