1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1978 1/2 Harley Davidson Superglide

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by ManBot13, Aug 25, 2016.

1. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Bike is getting shipped to me and will arrive by the end of September. Do any of you guys know a good forum and parts supplier for an old Harley?

The bike that started it all for my, my dad's one owner, 1978 1/2 Superglide. I rode this bike back in highschool, after my folks paid a "custom" shop to fix it up. Super expensive, took a long time and it was never running right. It always needed maintenance and we didn't know how to work on it, so when I wasn't riding, it sat. For about 10 years...

I bought my first Seca in an effort to learn how to work on a "cheap jap bike" before moving on to a "real" bike. Of course I fell in love with the inline 4 power vs a heavy V-Twin twice the size and half the power. But the thing just sits, so it's time to put some love into it and get it back on the road!

Here are some pics of it before getting loaded up:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ManBot13

3. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

J&P print a 2" thick catalog dedicated to shovels and older stuff. Not sure if they still offer it, but they had a complete kit to build an authentic FL panhead. Not cheap but the ultimate Mechano set for grown-ups!

http://www.jpcycles.com/vintage-harley-parts

4. ManBot13

Cool, I'll have to check that out. Saw a lot of expensive chrome bolt on piece but also a ton of cheap rebuild parts. Guess which ones I'm going to gravitate to...

Still looking for a good forum if anyone's got one. I'm definitely going to be changing from the points that were "upgraded" when the bike was new to an electronic ignition and I'll likely need some help.
    Also, it's got an S&S carb on it, which never ran right. I'm going to need to play with jetting to get it to run like my yamahas

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Swap meets, Older dealerships, and the Olds Cool section of ADV Rider.

6. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

We stopped at a place in Ravenna Ohio called Bears Vintage on our last group ride. Room after room of older harley parts and bikes etc. Was pretty overwhelming the stuff he had in there. We didn't meet Bear but sounds like he can tell what every part goes on and if it doesn't fit, he can tell you why. Might be worth a call if you're looking for something.