1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 kawasaki kz550 ltd

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by bets777, Jul 1, 2017.

1. bets777

bets777 New Member

I recently changed the head gasket and cylinder base gasket. I got it all together. I hate the air cleaner system they have so I changed it. The stock system has these rubber tubes going from back of carb to a big box that has a air filter. These tubes get rock hard after a few hundred miles and make it a pain to install. So I got 4 separate filters to easily stick to the back of each carb. Easy. But it does not want to run with those. I put gas down the plug and it would only run for a few seconds and shut off. If I take them off I can get the bike to run but it runs poorly because the back of the carbs are open. Are the filters the problem? Is it running to lean? Not lean enough? Next week I hope to get around to cleaning out the carbs. I didn't think of it but they were sitting around for a few months even if covered, they could have got dust in them or whatever. I don't think no reason to separate all 4 just take off the tops and bottoms and spray carb cleaner.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

CV carbs do not play well with pods. Put th airbox back on.
    You can renew the intake boots with this method. Works every time.

If you don't want to break the carb rack to clean them properly (and replace worn-out seals), just don't bother cleaning them at all.

3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I had an 84 KZ550LTD for many years great bike. Agree with Kmoe your carbs needs the airbox. Take the boots apply some silicone oil to the boots this will make them easier to put back in.