1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 Maxim 550 no spark and other PO tales.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by BlumpkinKing87, Jun 18, 2018.

1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

The signals won't flash properly til the bike is running, in order to generate a high enough current to get the flasher to activate properly.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

in the head light bucket you will find a double connector with black wire that is the ground for blinkers
    also a double wire dark green and a double wire dark brown connector that is where the blinkers plug in.

there is also a lighter brown double wire connector that hooks to headlight connector this is the wrong connector to hook your lights into as lights will always be on.
    in the seca this is a single brown wire going back into harness and green/yellow wire
    [​IMG]seca connector always hot used for running lights

[​IMG]
    if you look close enough you will see I have my blinkers wires reversed to dark green and brown wires connectors in above photo. Now that I have looked I have to switch the wires and move blinkers to the correct sides for the color.

[​IMG]
    this light brown connector goes directly to headlight always hot in 550 Maxim
    it is used with the green/yellow wire

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    BlumpkinKing87 likes this.
  3. BlumpkinKing87

BlumpkinKing87 New Member

Looks like the connector for the regulator/rectifier is melted, I can't even unplug it. I have no spark on any cylinder but everything else I've tested so far seems to be good.

Attached Files: