1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ505 Maxim died - then started again

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cgutz, May 18, 2013.

1. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Any one have this happen? Pulling away from a light, COMPLETELY died. No lights, power, nothing.

Checked main fuse (20 amp) and other in box. Ok. Tried to start, completely dead.

Then, as I was about to give up and push the bike to a parking lot, I tried one more time. It started up and ran home fine.

Anyone have any thoughts as to cause? It was a dry day, , battery new last year.

I'm afraid to take it out as it may happen again.

2. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Open up the fuse box and wiggle your fuses. Loose?? Make sure the contacts are... Contacting
    Do you have blade fuses or old glass fuse box?

3. crowdpleazer

crowdpleazer Member

you have a loose connection somewhere in the main power. check battery cables, ground cable, and trace out from there. Theres a plug off of the positive batt cable just before the starter solenoid. just some ideas...

4. lostkause

lostkause New Member

I would have to agree on the fuse thing is you still have the glass fuse I would recommend going to the blade fuses the old glass ones seem to have alot of issues after so many years. the clips that hold them in place spread out and wont make a solid connection thus causing the issues you have described and many more.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sidestand switch is usually at the top of the list (after fusebox.)

6. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I have glass fuses, and the clips on the main 20amp fuze are iffy. That could have been probkem as I took it out and replaced it several times, might have finally closed circuit.
    What is the best way to convert to blade fuses? 1983 550 Maxim.

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The original fuse clips crystallize and will break all on their own without even being touched. BE CAREFUL messing with them at all, they just up and break.

XJ4Ever (member chacal) offers a fuse box retrofit kit that makes the whole thing easy. On the 550, the best place to put the new fusebox is on top of the airbox, and trim the tool tray a tad for clearance.

A flaky sidestand switch will also drive you crazy. Because of where it's mounted, it lives a hard life. Worth testing.

Everything you need to know about switches and sensors is here: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=27543.html

If you don't have wiring and circuit diagrams for your bike, then PM me with your email address and I'll send them to you.

Meanwhile, find a shop manual. You will soon discover that this minor electrical issue is the least of your worries; and when you do, you'll need it.

8. Foolber

Foolber Member

XJ505 huh? New to me :) odd model huh

9. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Sorry...typed this on my tablet. It is a XJ550, and is actually a 1983 model. My memory is getting bad....had the bike since new.

10. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

KILL SWITCH check the kill switch!!!! My bike started doing that last summer and the problem was the kill switch. You cant actually get at the contacts on it, but you can spray it with cleaner. That's what I did and have had ho more problems.

11. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I will check the kill switch on the handlebar and clean with contact cleaner. Thanks.

Based on the feedback, and reveiwing the link above about troubleshooting electrical problems, it appears with all the cutoff relays for safety, etc, there are a million ways this think can go dead :lol: