1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ550 Maxim rebuild

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Ryengoth, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

most dc-dc regulators need a volt or more input to get the desired output. 12volts out might need 13/14 volts in

2. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

This specific booster pack supports 8-40 for 13.8V at 10A DC to make sure it picks up low revs from the stator coil.

3. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

4. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

I chose the 10A buck/boost configuration so that it won't tax the coils and caps in it. It should run pretty cool and last a while if the high beam LED circuit is no more than the stated 45W at 12V. That's only 4A so the 6A version would probably work and be smaller and easier to mount but it would likely run hot.

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i think your ignition could benefit from something like that

6. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Maybe. I would need to measure the amperage draw. I don't think one of those could do 2 coils and a headlight without burning out. It's proving difficult to find a location for one that will get airflow without being in the way or being near something hot. The only mounting spot I've found so far is where the horn goes.

7. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

8. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

One interesting thing I noticed on that main circuit testing was the drop in amperage when the generator spun up. I need to look through the wiring diagram but it looks like the OE rectifier is feeding the load circuit from another source and causing the flicker still. I may need to move the wiring over to the OE regulator output instead. It sounds a bit redundant to regulate a regulator but this electrical set up is not producing a clean 12V across all loads. The aftermarket unit I have is not any better. It's just the way these bikes were designed.

9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

10. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Yes I could also do that on the fuse circuit. I was trying to get the coils and lighting also on it. I guess the main fuse feed is not going to be the ideal place for it considering the amperage draw dropped to 0A DC across the main fuse when the generator built enough voltage.

11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

when bike is running the main fuse is what feeds the battery when charging. the bike runs off of the charging system

Ryengoth likes this.
  12. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Have you been out riding? I get improving things etc. but now that you’ve gotten through a tough long build where you almost threw in the towel a few times, go enjoy the reward.

13. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

The bike title was never transferred and it changes hands 3 times before I got it. I have a long paperwork road ahead and a license test to pass still. No rush to get it on the road, it is a side project.

14. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Interesting with the title issues, been there done that. I hope your DMV will work with you and is not a pain the butt like Wisconsin is. If I did that, it would have to be a bonded title on the spot. No title skipping allowed. I hope you have better luck.

15. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

It's no big deal, I just have to pay for an indemnity bond with my insurance carrier and then get the DMV theft/casualty inspect it and write a report. Once I get that I can get a safety inspection and pay taxes on it. :rolleyes: $$$ I also learned that you can register online with Vermont and then do a state transfer to avoid the bond. It will end up costing more but it's faster.

16. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

All that said, I still take it down the street and around the neighborhood. All private roads (at least for now). :D

17. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I'd be nervous doing all that work before I had it titled! Good luck to ya on that part.

18. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

I already discussed everything with DMV and ran a VIN check. The title was last dated 2012 and I have the registration card, so it was already registered with NC DMV, which helps.

19. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Looking at the wiring diagram I think the best place to attach the additional regulator is inline on the brown wire from the oe rectifier. I will rewire this weekend and see how it works out.

20. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

did you try putting a capacitor across the headlight, that might be all you need