1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ550 Maxim rebuild

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Ryengoth, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

#4 is refusing to play nice. No heat coming from it, plenty of spark and there is fuel. It runs and is sync'd but the fuel is not right. The only thing I can think of is idle circuit has dirt in it or the mix screw needs to be replaced. I am about to the point of leaving it as-is and just hoping it will clear up. I've had the carbs out twice already and the airbox boots are looking like crap now from the removal/installs. They -were- new.

2. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Went to take a test ride today and now both 3 and 4 won't fire. Looks like carbs are coming back off again. I don't understand it, the wet set is good and the jets looked clean.

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

You don't have a IR temp gauge? Cheap tool to check the exhaust headers to see if the bike is running on all 4. A compression check has been done? If you have spark, fuel, air and compression you should have fire.

Cleaning those carbs the correct way is the only way to do. When I first started working on the XJ bikes, I pulled my carbs from my first project six time. Yes that thought me to bench test them before they go in the bike. This checks for leaking fuel tubes, bowls and the wet set. Put them in a vice type of device and made sure they are in the same position that they will be in the bike. Using a level helps to get them flush and plumb.

4. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Believe me, I did the church clean.. 3 times now, with a level. I have video of the last wet set, sync and tune session but I've not had time to put it together. The floats still manage to randomly stick(with new quality seats and needles even). I think I may need to get a fuel filter and put it on the main line at this point. I think bits are making it from the gas tank into the carbs and stuffing the jets up after I've gotten it all set to go. I have a wide assortment of thermal measuring devices. I just use my fingertips to gauge header temp, they're dead to sensitive touch anyway from so many years of burns and getting nipped off but I can tell when the pipe is too hot or not firing at all. :(

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

That sounds like a good plan. Have you looked inside the tank with a good light? I can't think of one bike I have not put a filter on when I took the time to clean the carbs. I didn't want all my hard work to just be messed up by the tank rust or gum in there. Lots of good products to get rid of rust in the tank too. Get a pic of that tank for us so we can see what you have going.

6. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Franz and McTavish like this.
  7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

8. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

I own Pinnacle Studio 21 Pro, is that better?

9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i don't know about better but it's free

10. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Just tried openshot. Interface is modeled after Pinnacle Studio but the preview during editing for MP4 files is not efficient enough on my gaming rig to even play back properly. Audio and video stuttering. Oh well, worth a try. Seems this project needs major help with the Windows code fork as it works with other video formats but can't handle MP4( which is the largest video standard right now! ).

11. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

No news. Have had no time to pull the carbs and clean them again. Wife is home from hospital so having to run the zoo. Hoping to get paint on ordee soon and shoot the covers and tank. This is what I am getting.

Attached Files:

12. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

The project is up for sale for $500, local pick or arrange a shipment. PM me if interested. Carbs need to be cleaned again and it still needs paint, that's it. It has to go.

13. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Well I said good bye tonight. Maybe one day I will enjoy an XJ in better shape and actually ride it.

14. Louise Drever

Louise Drever New Member

Hi I’ve been reading through your posts looking for photos of the completed job BUT SO MANY POSTS! Did you finish refurbing the blue xj550?
    It looked like the double of my old bike that I still pine after 30 years later. Sold it here in Scotland around 1990 when I was broke and regretted it ever since been hunting for one ever since. Would love to see a finished photo.....