1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 xj650 complete engine rebuild and bobber conversion

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Eurotas, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Eurotas

Eurotas Member

Hey guys, I'm new to the thread here, and I have just acquired my first XJ bike. This will be my first bike to modify. What I'm looking for is some help so that I don't mess anything up. Engine ran ok, but doesn't anymore. Pulled the valve cover off, and found intake cam gear missing. I'm guessing the previous owner didn't know what he was doing, and now I have a dead engine.

So now I have broken cam gear pieces at the bottom of the engine. Surprisingly there's no damage to the head. Just a few scratches from when the cam gear snapped. I realize that this requires a complete engine tear down, in order to get them out. Another thing that I've read is that the shifter fork can become bent/damaged, resulting in second gear not working and so on. What sort of things should I be doing to rectify that situation so that its doesn't happen to me when I have the cases split?

I'm looking for some "how-to's", or advice on what i should be replacing in the engine since it'll all be completely apart. I figure since it's all apart, might as well put everything new in there. Money isn't really a factor. So whatever this bike needs, I'll buy it.

The next thing I'd like to know is where you guys find your parts from? Obviously Ebay, but are there any other companies out there that specialize in parts specifically for this bike that can't be found elsewhere?

I'm thinking that since it'll all be apart, I might as well change all the bearings, starter clutch, clutch plates, etc. So I'm going to need some help sourcing out information and parts for that. I'll be buying the clymer manual here shortly. Is there any special tools that I need? If so, where do I get them?

The next thing I'm after is I would LOVE to put a Springer front end on this bike. I've done some reading, and have only found two companies that make the Springer front ends, however, they are only for the XS650. I have also read in some posts that they are compatible with each other. Has anybody in this forum done this swap before? If so how did you do it? What modifications need to be done in order to install it on this bike? Come hell or high water, that Springer is going on this bike lol.

As for the rest of the bike, I'm chopping the rear of the frame off to build a bobber. The only thing I can't decide on is if I want to some how incorporate the rear suspension in it, or just leave it as a hard tail. What are your thoughts? I like the clean look without the rear springs, but is my back going to suffer? I've never owned a hard tail before, so I have no experience to speak on the matter.

I'd like to find a decent exhaust kit on this bike, as I absolutely hate the look of the stock exhaust. Anybody have any ideas on that? I'm thinking I'd like to go with the wrapped look, but I'm not 100% sure on it yet.

I'd like to go with some spoke rims on this bike. How do I find some rims that will match up to this bike? What measurements need to be taken? Can someone recommend where to get a decent set of rubber with white wall?

And lastly, if there's any cool modifications that you guys have done, or know somebody else has done, gimme a shout! I'm open to all ideas right now. The head light is going away, as well as the turn signals and stock gauges. I'm going to be putting something a little more modern on the bike.

This bike is going to be for the wife, so every small detail will not be overlooked. I'll need all the help I can get! I'd like to have this thing built in 6 weeks or less. Thanks in advance guys, I'll post some pictures soon.

2. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hi,
    This is a very ambitious project. And unless you can work on it 24/7, I'd say not possible in 6 weeks, especially since this is your first bike to modify AND engine work is involved.
    If money is not really in issue, why not buy something running that already has most of what you are looking for? And keep the bike you have and slowly transform it into what you described above.
    Click the top right banner for parts. Len has everything.
    And you sure your wife would like a hardtail?
    Break your post into individual threads, and you'll get answers faster.

3. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Taking 6 weeks off work then or are you retired?

4. Chance

Chance Member

Welcome and wow wanting to complete it in 6 weeks is a lot, you will want to look at the catalogue at http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/forums/xj4ever-supporting-vendor.23/
    And then contact Chacal. He has parts and tools for rent. He has several kits available I would look at getting kits, and complementary kits and individual parts as well.(I myself am still going through the catalog for my xj550 parts, I was planning a weekend engine rebuild, now planning for winter rebuild so I can ride in the meantime) If this is for your wife and it will be her first bike, not really sure I would make it a hard tail.

5. Eurotas

Eurotas Member

I already have a nice bike for myself :). I have aaaaaaa lot of experience with fabrication.

6. Eurotas

Eurotas Member

Lol i don't work as much as I used to. Got a lot of free time now!

7. Eurotas

Eurotas Member

So does anybody have any info in regards to the Springer installation using either a DNA or tc brothers Springer kit?

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

One quick question. Is this a Seca or a Maxim? If it's a Seca 650 then I suggest that you take time to reconsider your plan. That was a one-year bike in North America, and a lot of people are nolstagic for it, so long-term it will have greater value if left stock.

When the engine is apart, rebuild the starter clutch and replace the alternator chain guide. The second gear dogs can be undercut, but second gear dog slippage is not nearly as much of an issue in the 650 as in the larger displacement machines.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  9. Eurotas

Eurotas Member

15U000589 is my vin if anybody can some how check it.

10. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Should I start an export business then ? 650s don't fetch much here and we only got the 'Seca'.;)

11. Eurotas

Eurotas Member

Lol I dunno, I just wanted something to do instead of sitting around.

12. k-moe

13. Eurotas

Eurotas Member

Well then it's gonna be one of a kind seca then!

14. k-moe

Get it reunning perfectly in stock form before you start doing modifications. It will save you time in the long-run.

15. Eurotas

Eurotas Member

I'm doing that outside of the bike itself.

16. Eurotas

Eurotas Member

Does anybody have a quick list of all the bearings required to be replaced inside the case on this engine?

17. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

There's no quick list. You need to plastigauge all of them once you split the case and see what's within limits. If one or more is out of spec, then you have the fun task of determining what bearing is in there currently and sourcing the correct one. There' a few threads on here where members have rebuilt their motors and have some how to pics on bearing sizing etc.

18. Eurotas

Eurotas Member

Oh I should've clarified, I meant roller bearings not main bearings.

19. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

don't remember anyone ever replacing the roller bearings.
    now you're down to 5 weeks and 6 days :)

Stephen Downey likes this.
  20. Eurotas

Eurotas Member

Lol engine is half apart as of last night, doing the rest tonight and hopefully plastigauge soon.