1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 xj650 maxim carbs

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Levi Wells, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Levi Wells

Levi Wells New Member

I have a 1982 xj650 maxim I got the carbs rebuilt, pilot jet is at 43 and main jet is at 120 I have air pods. The bike idles fine and I can give a tiny bit of throttle but when I give a lot of throttle it bogs right away unless the choke is on I have also shimmed the needles. Any suggestions would be great to get my bike up and running

2. Jeff Witt

Jeff Witt New Member

3. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Well that thread won’t help you much....
    In a nutshell, you’re trying to calibrate something without the luxury of starting from a good working setting - there are so many posts on here from people who have problems getting standard factory cabs and air boxes to work, and then you get people telling you that the reason your setup doesn’t run correctly is because pods don’t work with CV carbs...
    If I was to give you any advice it would be to fit an air box, make sure all is well, then fit the pod filters. (Fuel levels - wet setting, carb synch, mixture would all be spot on). And buy decent, not Chinese rubbish filters.
    Assuming you got to this position, I would then suggest you go up two sizes on idle jets, and try it. Then, to cure a likely flat spot, get some adjustable needles and try them slightly higher. You might also need to snip three or four coils out of the springs, maybe fit some plastic spacers. If you got all this right you should get it running fine - maybe not as well as the original air box in low or mid range, but the top end should be better.
    Don’t let the naysayers put you off, it can be done...

4. Gary Potter

Gary Potter Member

Would you trim the spring on the needle or the spring under the hat?

First82maxim likes this.