1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim NOT STARTING

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jackson Reeves, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Jackson Reeves

Jackson Reeves New Member

Doesn't the engine need to be able to turn over in order to run a compression test?

It's more of the idea that this is my first motorcycle, and I have nothing to do now that everything is shut down, and the whole reason I got this bike (for $150, mind you) is so that I could learn a bit more about motorcycles and how they work. Knowledge is more valuable than money, these days, chief!

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Motor does need to turn for compression test would suggest using a car battery as referred to in information overload

In the long run it would be cheaper and easier to find a used motor instead of trying to rebuild yours but you want to confirm that it actually needs to be rebuilt in the first place compression test will help that any issues possibly leak down test as well

3. Jackson Reeves

Thanks! Turns out I didn't mention it in the previous posts (I meant to oops) but the motor is seized now. I've got WD-40 siting in it now, hopefully in the next few days that will do something. I'll try and keep y'all updated on whats happening :)

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Ouch, sorry to hear she froze up on you. There are much better things to use than WD-40. PB Blaster or a mix of acetone (paint thinner) and ATF to 50/50 mix. Sounds like she got really hot while tuning. Next time you get her running put a fan in front of the bike it will really help while you tune.

If you want to learn how to work and or tear down a engine you have to option to do that. I don't know if I would want to start my first time with a seized engine? Trying to get the jugs off a seized engine is not fun and most times folks lose their cools and end up breaking off some cooling fins.

A known good engine would be best and I would think you can get one at a good cost. Best of luck on your direction you go with.

5. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

How do you know it’s seized?
    I suggest removing the left crank end cap and try rocking the motor back and forth with a 19 mm open end wrench

6. Jackson Reeves

I know because that's what I did haha.

7. Jackson Reeves

Alrighty sounds good, I'll look into it! Thanks man!

8. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

You should pour ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and acetone let soak for a couple of days. Do NOT use the starter, pull off the left hand crank cover , put a wrench ( as I recall it is 19mm ) turn clockwise . If you can turn over with the wrench , pull all 4 plugs try turning over with the starter( CAUTION: do this outside, reason cylinders with ATF, WD40 ETC with the plugs removed will spray your ceiling in you garage...don't ask how i know this:rolleyes:) . If you get it to turn over , drain the oil and refill , reinstall the plugs and then see if bike starts.

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Just throw a old rag over the engine it will catch most of the flying stuff from the cylinders. No real reason to move the bike unless you would like to.

10. Jackson Reeves

Thanks for the tips! Unfortunately, the motor is still seized. And I definitely got oil all over my garage wall and ceiling lol! I'm still debating whether or not I should start tearing into the engine, or try and find a used one that I can just slap right on there. Thoughts? Also, I'm looking to replace the gauge cluster (speedometer, odometer, etc.) and I was wondering if y'all had any suggestions for which ones to use? Thanks again!

11. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

A used engine is probably best option , look on ebay, or a cycle salvage yard , Wisconcin Cycle salvage, Cycle Recycle Part 2 are two places you might call , expect to pay 5to6 hundred with shipping ...you could swap in an engine and tear down original afterwards.

12. Jackson Reeves

Another update because this stuff is fun, but this time, I'm going to updating a decent bit:

I tore the bike down to the frame a little while ago and took a cutoff wheel and some sandpaper and ground the frame down to bare metal, slapped some black point on there, and got started with reassembly. I don't plan on reusing the stock wiring harness, except for maybe some connectors that I don't feel like setting up on the new harness. Again, going to be making a minimalist harness from scratch.

I ordered new turn signals, a custom tail light, custom headlight, and new headlight housing (since the new headlight is a 7" light, instead of the stock 8"), but that won't be here for a month or two because of this virus! By the grace of God, the taillight actually mounted right up (with a few love taps) to the stock mounting locations on the rear fender, so there's no need for me to fill in some of those holes. The headlight is an aftermarket Jeep headlight, which looks super cool on our 550s, and it's bright as hell lol.

I'm in the market for an aftermarket speedometer/tachometer, so if anyone has any suggestions for one that doesn't break the bank, that would be awesome!

Now for the fun stuff, I found some free time the other day to start tearing in to the engine. Tore off the top end to get to the pistons, and the left-most cylinder was, not even kidding, shattered. The top of the piston scraped against the wall of the cylinder and literally exploded. 5 minutes later, I've got the piston off, inspecting the rest of the engine for damage, and we're good! I was originally planning on just replacing the piston, until I pulled the cylinders and saw that the bottom of the same sleeve had broken as well. Again, every other piston is and cylinder is perfectly fine! Once all of that was removed, the crank turned like butter on that Benihana hot table that they cook in front of you on. I found a decent set of used pistons and cylinders on ebay that I will most likely order if I ever get employed again lol.

I'm waiting for a buddy of mine to finish sandblasting some parts for me (It's been 2-3 weeks dude come on) so that I can start getting the rear suspension back together, BUT the rear brake assembly came out and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to put that thing back together properly! If anyone could drop a picture of their assembly (where that spring is on that pivot point on the inside of the bike) that would be awesome as a reference!

So far, I'm on track to be well under budget ($1000 including the bike) to get this thing looking good again and back on the road, for the first time in 35 years! Want to thank you guys again for answering all of my ridiculous questions so far, and I hope you're ready for more, because I'm only just getting to the fun part!