1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1983 XJ650 Maxim - 2nd Bike - Won’t Start

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by maxgrok, Aug 21, 2021.

1. maxgrok

maxgrok New Member

Hey all,

New here. I just got a pretty red XJ650 Maxim. It was starting yesterday, but it’s been 5 years since I rode and I’m afraid I did something to it trying to start it improperly. Is here a good place to post about potential fixes?

I jumped the battery and it worked once, but tried jumping it again and it didn’t work. I can get the gear in neutral and click the starter button and it sounds like it’s trying to start. There’s enough fuel in the tank. Just doesn’t seem to be reaching the engine.

Perhaps it’s flooded from opening the choke too much? Any suggestions? Can provide more details if requested.

I ordered a tool to test the battery today and also a portable jumper. Was using a friends.
    Just trying to figure out if it’s a simple fix or not and if I can do it myself. Looking to learn!

Thanks!

2. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

You are saying the bike sat for five years? You are implying that it cranks when clicking the starter button but doesn't fire well enough to actually start? It sounds like the start circuit in the carbs could be gunked up/blocked. There is a tube that exrends into a deep well in the side of the float bowl, where there is a tiny jet at the bottom. If that jet is clogged it can prevent successful starting. First step is to disassemble the carbs and do a full cleaning.

3. maxgrok

maxgrok New Member

No, the bike hasn't sat for 5 years. I haven't rode a bike in 5 years. The bike has been ridden regularly for the past few months. I just bought the bike the other day is what I meant. Sorry about the confusing language.

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

If the engine is turning over your battery might not have enough power to operate the TCI. Put a multimeter set to DC volts on the battery terminals whilst pressing the starter button. It should not go below 10.8 volts.

5. maxgrok

maxgrok New Member

Checked it with a multimeter. Went to 9.5 when trying to start it and the testing showed the battery was dead.

I have a jumper coming and also a new battery that’s compatible coming so hopefully that fixes it!

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Hope that fixes it.

8. maxgrok

maxgrok New Member

Thanks for the advice @Franz !

Update: So, I jumped it. It started up briefly then the oil light came on (red light), then stalled. Does that mean I need to change the oil and oil filter? I have a new battery coming on Friday, as well as 10w40 oil and oil filters on Monday because I thought there might be a need for a change soon. Just not sure if I should change the battery first before the oil change or if it matters what order I debug this situation with.

9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes you can change the oil and filter but check the oil level just now on the clutch cover window. Do you have a Haynes manual for the bike? You are better with the oil warm before you drain it. Make sure your oil is JASO rated for wet clutches. You can fit the battery first.

10. maxgrok

maxgrok New Member

I have the yamalube in the way it meets or exceeds the JASO requirements. I do have the Hayes manual.

I’ll check the oil level later today. The battery will be here Monday. I’ll let you know how it goes! Thanks again for the help!

11. maxgrok

maxgrok New Member

So, I replaced the battery. Revved it up. It works like a charm. Took it for a spin around the block and it didn’t stall or anything.

Wondering what I could do to tighten up the brake and clutch levers though, they’re a little loose and worn down. Do I need to replace them or can I just tighten them up? If so, how? I’ll check the manual too.

Also, wondering about converting it into a cafe racer. Can the oil level light also refer to gas levels? It seemed to stop lighting up after I gave it some gas.

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Read This First

Please don't cafe it unless you have done similar work before. It's very easy to take a good motorcycle and turn it into a static pile of parts. A lot of us have bought parts for cheap by looking for failed cafe racer projects.

In what way are the levers loose? Do they flop up and down, or is there slack when the levers are pulled? There should be some slack (~1-3 mm).

The oil light is triggered by a float in the sump. It only lights up when the oil level is low, and as a check of the light when you first start the bike. The floats can be sticky fom years of not having regular oil changes.Get a can of Seafoam and follow the directions on the can for using it in your oil. That usually cleans up any sludge that may be causing the float to stick.

The fuel level is indicated by the engine sputtering when you are low on fuel. You actually have one of the few XJ models without a fuel gauge.

Also your oil level should be closer to the top of the sightglass than to the middle. Below midway the oil light can come on when riding over decent bumps (like a railroad crossing).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    Franz likes this.
  13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The bushings in the levers must be worn be as well replacing them. Oil level light is just for the oil level. Reserve is your gauge on a motorcycle as someone on here said :D

14. maxgrok

maxgrok New Member

The levers flop up and down. And good to know about the cafe racer project. I will likely wait on it until I get more experienced with maintenance on this bike as it is, after knowing that.

Will look into the Seafoam. Will also check the oil levels soon. Thanks @k-moe !

15. maxgrok

maxgrok New Member

What type of seafoam? I’m looking at the DC-14 and SF-16 on Amazon. Is there a preference for this particular purpose? @k-moe

16. maxgrok

maxgrok New Member

Also, do I need a motorcycle stand to replace the oil or can I just do it with the kickstand?

17. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Your machine came with a center stand from the factory. Is it missing?
    You can change the oil on the sidestand, but you won't be able to get all of the used oil out.

Flopping up and down a little is no big deal, but new bolts and bushings on the levers will go a long way to eliminating that. contact info@xj4ever and he'll get you set up with whatever the best parts are for that.

The original Seafoam: sea-foam-motor-treatment-oil-fuel-additive

18. maxgrok

maxgrok New Member

Ok cool. My center stand is there still. I just forgot about it.
    Will reach out for the parts. Thanks @k-moe and @Franz ! I really appreciate the help.

k-moe likes this.
  19. maxgrok

maxgrok New Member

So, I replaced the oil and oil filter. That went ok. The new battery now according to the multimeter is dead not above 10.8 when i try to start it. I suppose the generator or alternator isn’t recharging it when it’s running? It died the other day and just petered off the freeway, which was less than ideal. Had to get it towed home by a Good Samaritan. Thank Goodness for biker community.

I’m looking at alternators on Amazon and they’re like $120. Is this actually the problem and can I replace the alternator myself? Seems like it might be plug and play. Any better connections to parts? Email the xj4ever? Open to suggestions and thanks in advance!

20. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Might be alternator brushes not touching the rotor. Test the alternator and regulator/rectifier too before ordering parts.