1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1985 Maxim X - Lots o' Parts for Sale

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by jvswan, Jan 28, 2010.

1. jvswan

jvswan Member

I bought my XJ700XN last June. It has been a source of near constant frustration for me. So, I bought another one, practically identical, from another XJBikes forum member. It is in better condition than mine, so I'm selling off my bike. The engine on my first bike doesn't run. I'm still trying to get it to go, but in the mean time, I need to recover some of my expenditures. So, I'm parting it out.

I have just about everything, but will retain the main ignition/starting/motor parts for another week as I try to work with the valves. If they don't get the engine running, I'll sell that stuff off, as well.

Only things that y'all may want, but aren't available: coils (mine are cracked and bad), stock header/combiner/muffler assembly (bike has a 4 - 1 arrangement, but the attached sport-bike muffler is crap), and the airbox and airbox to carb boots. There is, however, a nifty manifold arrangment that the PO added to the carbs which restricts the flow somewhat. Pulls air from two pod filters instead of four. If anyone wants something close to an airbox, but doesn't want to pull their engine to put it in, this would be a great alternative. It looks pretty good and works well. Does require a new main jet in the carbs.

As far as condition goes, the PO of my bike didn't take very good care of things. My bike has some light rust on the chrome parts. Things like the shocks, tripple tree, bolts, nuts, braces, etc. all have some light rust. Plastichrome is ok. Aluminum is slightly oxidized, but cleans up just fine. Forks are in good shape with some small rust spots, but they aren't pitted.

Please let me know if you want/need anything. I haven't priced anything, so send me offers. If I get to the point of tearing stuff down and pricing, I'll probably start sticking stuff on eBay. So, y'all get first crack at things. I'm not looking to make a lot of money, so I'm not going to ask for big $$$ for things. Just trying to recover a bit from 8 months of spending to get a bike that will work.

I might also consider trades. Right now I'm looking for valve pads, but won't know what size I need until Saturday.

2. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

Interested in airbox covers, 5 valve covers, guages, stator, and I think that is all. I have a bunch o pads for trade. let me know what sizes you need and maybe we can work something out? pm me

3. schooter

schooter Active Member

got pics of that airbox?

4. charlie3

charlie3 Member

tall backrest if ya got one... and i also need one horn

5. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

Charlie3-I've got a backrest I'd be willing to part with, one catch, though. It doesn't have the stock back rest padding. I've got the frame only if you will. Pm me if you might want it...sorry, didn't mean to hijack

6. jonrms

jonrms Member

I am intersted in the two chrome covers if your have them that are below the seat/tank...

7. jvswan

jvswan Member

Hey all, I've got some of the covers. I have a pair of 5 Valve covers and I think I've got the plastichrome airbox covers (honestly can't remember if the new bike had them). I'll look tonight after work and post more info/photos for those who wanted them. First posts get first dibs.

Thanks!

8. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

dibs on the 5 valve covers and air box covers...provided they have all tabs...

9. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Curious about the rims and tires. Got pics?

10. jvswan

jvswan Member

Hey man, sorry, but I did receive a PM last night at 11:30 pm asking for the left carb cover and the license plate bracket. I didn't see it until I had posted my last message. I'll double check the air box covers when I get home from work. You've got dibs on the gauges and stator if you're still interested, though.

11. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

Jason, I don't want to start anything, but you should sell the covers by the pair, jmo.

Let me know how much you want for the other pieces. I'd like pics sent to me if possible. Not being harsh, but I don't want faded guages. If you could pm me, I'll shoot you my e mail and we'll go from there. If you were closer, I'd come buy the entire bike...Looking for another x for a project.

12. jonrms

jonrms Member

Dibs on the covers... please please please..

paypal waiting!

13. jvswan

jvswan Member

Hey Jon, sorry, but I just remembered that the bike didn't have an airbox. That's why it has the air manifold assembly thing. I'm going to be using the airbox from my original bike instead of the manifold. In any case, no airbox covers.

Yeah, you're probably right 644. I'll ask the guy, but I already told him I'd sell the one. Shoot. Wish I'd have thought of that... Might be a challenge to get rid of just the right side, now. In any case, I'll send you photos of the gauges and the stator. Is your backrest frame the Maxim style? Or is it an aftermarket job?

SLKid, I have rims in good shape. I'm keeping the good tires (it took me 4 stinkin' hours to get them on, and I've only ridden about 200 miles on them). The other pair are fine for tread, but the sidewalls are checked. I was going to keep them as an emergency spare pair, but you are welcome to them if you'd like them. If you buy the rims, I'll include them at no cost (except the extra cost of shipping).

14. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

What about the gas tank?

15. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

I have 2 back rests, one I am having recoved as it is an original and says 'maxim' on the back (like the one on my x) and the other is an original frame, but not pad. I have three of the stinking things. Last one I sold for over 200 on flebay, but I think that was a fluke and of course this one isn't worth near that, and I am on here dealing with members, so things are considerably more reasonable....

16. dawsoner

dawsoner Member

Can I get your speedometer?

17. bkerby

bkerby Member

Jason, I sent you a followup pm on the license plate bracket and left carb cover. If you need to sell them as a pair I will buy both, dont wanna cause any probs on the board, or make it hard for you to get rid of a single cover. Appreciate you giving me first chance as I have been looking forever for some covers...Thanks Brett

18. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

I have a new backrest pad cover I got when I recovered my seats.
    I'm sure you could make the guts.
    I have a pattern for the wood and a little padding from a hobby shop you would be good to go.

19. jvswan

jvswan Member

Hey guys, sorry for the delay. Crummy weather here meant that I couldn't get my bike out of my garage. So, the photos are kind of dark. I think I got everything folks have asked for so far (except for the gas tank, will get that soon, though):

Speedo
    [​IMG]

Temp gauge
    [​IMG]

Tach
    [​IMG]

License plate bracket
    [​IMG]

Front wheel
    [​IMG]

Rear wheel
    [​IMG]

Carb air manifold with pods off
    [​IMG]

Carb air manifold with pods on (pods go beneath the seat/tank, and fills the space pretty well)
    [​IMG]

Carb covers (not too bad, but not perfect)
    [​IMG]

Shows broken tab (can be fixed using trick from Maxim-X.com)
    [​IMG]

I do have a gas tank. It has a small ding on the end closest to the seat. I'll get a photo soon.

Thanks! I'll respond to PMs right now. I'll start posting updates as I reach deals with folks. Again, I'll deal with first responders first, then move on to the next responders if things don't work out. Hope I don't upset anyone, but I'm trying to be fair.