1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1986 Maxim xj 700 tank swap

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by hieu tran, Jan 11, 2022.

Tags:
  1. hieu tran

hieu tran New Member

Hey guys, im not seeing any info in regards to swapping tanks from the maxim 700 of 1986 to any of the xj/seca models, does anyone know if this is doable? and what type of modifications i would have to do to make it fit? thanks!

2. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

I don't believe that the 85/86 Maxim tanks are a direct swap onto any other models. They are kind of their own animal.

As with anything, I'm sure it could be done with enough time and fabrication, but I don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Almost identical to the “X” that has a fuel level sensor

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

85/86 xj700/xj750/X tanks are all interchangeable BUT—-

1. calif model tanks have a vapor port underneath, and non-vented fuel filler cap. Those need to be taken into consideration. This Tank is connected via a tube to ‘the canister’ (in the tool box compartment under the right side cover), which is also connected via a tube to the carb rack. If that Tank is put onto a non-Calif bike, the vent I’ve port underneath must be capped off AND a vented fuel cap must be added instead of the non-vented fuel cap.

2. ‘85 emblems are round and either gold or silver, depending......; ‘86 emblems are oval chrome with black or dark blue.

‘86 tank often had pinstriping, to match ‘86 sidecover pinstripes.

dfox

5. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not sure how much it will help, but I snapped a couple of pictures of an 85/86 Maxim tank compared to a pre-85 650 Maxim and a pre-85 750 Seca tank. I think you can see that the dimensions and mounting points are pretty wildly different.

Here is 85/86 Maxim on the left, and pre-85 650 Maxim on the right:
    20220117_012833562_iOS (2).jpg

Here is 85/86 Maxim on the left, and pre-85 750 Seca on the right:
    20220117_012922707_iOS (2).jpg