1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

2000 VS1400

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, May 5, 2021.

1. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just looking back at pictures, is the vs1400 under-braked? It seems to have about the same setup in the front as my XJ550 Seca, but with a lot more weight.

2. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

As mentioned earlier there is a brake upgrade to a 6 pot front brake you need an adapter and new line. For the riding I do, country roads the braking is just adequate but with the engine braking from the large twin you can stop quick if needed. The tank is my biggest complaint looks great but too small and I have not seen anywhere that has a bolt and go option. There is a good site on these bikes with loads of info intruderalert.com if anyone is interested

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes I have the brake upgrade and kit to make it all happen. I have not gotten around to it yet. Get a R6 front right caliber and the kit (offset upper bracket and extra bolt) and you are good to go. I have never been a big fan of a single disk brake up front but I will over look it on this bike.

Uxbridge Brule likes this.
  4. Uxbridge Brule

Did the 6 pot upgrade today wow what a difference 2 fingers can actually slow the bike now.

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

You didn't have to get an adapter for the brake to the brake line? I guess I might have gotten a wrong yr caliper from ebay. It fits but the threads are not the same as the bikes OEM screw.

6. Uxbridge Brule

Had to use a regular banjo bolt(10mm×1.25) but I did upgrade to Russell SS lines(38"), straight banjo at the brake and 35° at the master. There is an adaptor for the stock line but I don't know where to find it. Hagar Moto on YouTube is where I heard about the upgrade and he is a good source for these bikes as well as https://www.intruders-alert.com/.
    My caliper is from an 06 ZZR6

Attached Files:

Timbox likes this.
  7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes that looks like what I will have to do. My top carb float bowl gasket decided to start to leak on me, the the VS1400 is back on the table. I guess I could just replace the line too. Only money right? lol

8. Uxbridge Brule

"Only money" that about sums up motorcycle ownership. Good luck

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Swapped out the gutted OEM exhaust for some sportster ends. The bike is almost too quite now. Had to do some fabbing work and make some shims so the two pipes would fit together okay. Then came the exhaust hangers and where to put them. I think it will work out okay for now. The bike will need a louder horn now that the cars can no longer hear my loud exhaust.

The SS front brake line came in, so the new 6 puck brake caliper is on! So happy with that upgrade. I would guess this bike will be sold in the spring. I am still looking for the perfect fit of sport touring.

10. Uxbridge Brule

Nice to know you like the brake upgrade. I've thought about a more sport touring bike the older Kawasaki Concours are going for a good price and the people who have them seem to love them but I just brought home a parts bike Maxim and the garage is getting full.

Timbox likes this.
  11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Ya I hear ya, I have been kicking around the idea of a newer bike the may daily rider as well. It is a 2007 FI Bandit 1250s. I chose to get a better seat for it for now and see what else I can mod on it to make it more comfy for longer rides.

The Concours and the FJR are wonderful bikes! You are right, they are coming down and price. Best of luck to you in your search for the next ride.