1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

2006 Yamaha Vino Classic (50cc) - little help needed!

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Raven, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Raven

Raven Member

Hi everyone-

Last night, picked up a 2006 Vino scooter for my girlfriend. It's truly in great shape (710 miles 8O ), but will need some work to run...I'm reaching out to the terrific XJ crew for help diagnosing a problem with her. :D

First things first, it's cold outside, maybe 20-30 deg.F. The battery needs to be replaced (or at least a good charge), but the kickstarter works. It has an automatic/electronic choke, so I can't manually play around with that. I haven't yet pulled the spark plug, the gas is likely old (PO said he put sta-bil in before the winter), and the oil was also changed before winter.

After a kickstarting a little bit, we got it to start; it had a high idle, so I'm assuming the electronic choke was activated to warm itself up. After 4-5 minutes, the revs dropped (to what I assume is a normal idle), but soon thereafter idle would get weak and die. If at any time I touched the throttle (during the warmup or after it settled down), it would die out.

Summary of issues/factors:
    It's cold
    Old gas?
    auto choke/enrichment circuit allows it to start/run
    application of throttle kills it

That being said, what is a quick "checklist" of things I can do in order to troubleshoot?

Thanks for your help everyone!

2. guystjames

guystjames Member

Vino with 710 miles---not even broken in yet. Quick guess forget PO about "stabilizer" dump ALL gas and fill with FRESH. Might not hurt to run a wee bit of carb-cleaner thru as well. Of course check the oil level -first ;probably good idea to change as well.

3. Raven

Raven Member

*Update*
    Last night, I did a little work. Everything below was done with the bike on centerstand.

First thing, I pulled the old spark plug; tan? not at all, it was black. It smelled of stale gas and the threded part of the seal/casing was almost oily/dirty. It's possible the PO put a teaspoon of motor oil in the piston before winter to coat the walls (etc.). But regardless, I changed to a fresh plug.

Second, I drained all the old gas.

Third, I started the motor on the fuel still in the carb bowl. While running with its auto-choke on (high idle, etc.), I poured maybe a cup of Sea Foam straight in the tank. I let it run another minute or so to get the Sea Foam into the carb, then I shut off the bike to let it stew.

After 5-10 minutes, I added fresh gas to the tank and started it up again. It ran, still in "warm up mode", and was now able to accept some throttle input. Granted, I had to be careful with how quickly I rolled on (too much too quick, and it would hesitate and studder), but I was able to go 1/2 to 3/4 full throttle, back wheel spinning (it's an automatic scooter). As I let off and it retuned to high idle, it ran. As soon as it got warm and it deactivated its auto-choke, the revs dropped to "normal" and eventually got weak and it died. I could restart it (it ran long enough to charge the battery, so the electric start works :)), but again, it would idle for a short time (20 seconds) before the idle got weak and it eventually died.

New summary:
    Oil level and color are good
    Fresh gas
    Mild Sea Foam treatment
    New plug
    Starts/warms up fine
    Once warm, weak idle and dies

Any suggestions of where to go now? Thanks for your comments, guy!

4. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Adjust the idle once it's warm.

5. guystjames

guystjames Member

Probably nothing-- but always check "gap" setting on new plugs. Does the scooter have an air filter? Could need cleaning or replacing. Even though it has an auto-choke[which seems to be working fine] sounds like somebody; PO has been playing with carb idle setting. Find out where it is [should be easy ] and turn down when it has warmed-up. If not sure about Factory setting check manual-or go to a "site" to check settings on that little "brat". P.S. Check for an fuel filter and change if needed-change anyway [their cheap] Sounds like your almost there; good luck!

6. Raven

Raven Member

Thanks gents...

The gap on the plug was correct (.7-.8mm). Checked the air filter, it was almost clean. When I loosened the fuel line to drain the gas tank, I discovered it has an in-tank fuel filter; it was OK too.

Tonight's adventure:
    I looked on the carb for the idle adjustment screw (to adjust revs), and the idle mixture screw (I'd want to check the spark plug before I make any adjustments on that anyhow...)

I started the motor w/the electric start (my shenanigans from yesterday must have been enough to give it some juice), and it fired up first shot. Once fully warm, it died out per usual. I started it back up and added a turn and a half to the idle adjustment screw. Let idle settle there, and it didn't die (hurray!). I could twist the throttle, at which it initially bogged and almost stalled, but if i applied smooth enough, would climb in revs. Let off too suddenly, the revs would dip down quite low and want to stall.

Next, what else was there to do...try it around the block! Lights, brakes, horn, etc. were all OK. The engine was sluggish down low, but it didn't stall out on me...though taking off from/approaching a stop needed some finesse.

If warmer weather doesn't help, I suppose the next step is to adjust the idle mixture screw and/or take apart the carb to make sure the pilot jet isn't obstructed. I'll have to get my camera working and post some pics so you all can see how ridiculous I look on this thing! Thanks again for your help!

7. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Sounds like it's running majorly rich still.. hmmmm