1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

24 Hours ago...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by k-moe, Mar 18, 2016.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I made some time this weekend to modify the worst of the output sprockets so I can use it as the center of the driven sprocket. I cut the splines back so it take two bearings, and once it's fully welded onto the driven sprocket I can start cleaning things up just enough so it looks ratty without looking like it was bodged together. I should be able to finish the mechanicals next weekend so I can give the whole thing a "barn find" patina.
    After that it's just down to finalizing the programming, and deciding if I want to use a Real Time Clock daughterboard or not. I already have the necessary WIFI boards and antenna.

2. k-moe

A bit more than 24 hours ago I had arrived in beautiful Saint Petersburg, Florida, USA for a professional conference.

It was the best confrence I have ever attended.
    It was also the best confrence that I have ever hightailed it away from, by car, at 4AM.

So on my day of recovery (thanks to my awesome Principal) I discovered that I have somehow misplaced the drive gear for the clock.
    Boo.

3. k-moe

I require opinons.

The number chits that I originally bought are fine, but I'm not sure that I want to go with a "brand new" aesthetic.
    So....these (and an oil-black finish on the sprockets and chain).
    [​IMG]

Or should I spend the coin on buying a set of brass number chits?
    [​IMG]

My original plan was to make the chits kenetic, so they would always hang upright. It's a bit more work; drilling, tapping, and making spacers.
    Opinions?
    [​IMG]

4. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

I like the brass and the hanging idea.

jayrodoh likes this.
  5. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Yup, brass and kinetic hanging here as well. More work/more money but you’ll be happier in the long wrong.

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes brass hanging numbers are best.

7. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

You already knew the answer, didn't you? :D

Smart-assery aside, I wonder if you could adequately 'weather' the red ones to fit the aesthetic.

k-moe and Franz like this.
  8. k-moe

I did.
    Thanks everyone.
    Now I just need to get HR at the new job to straighten my pay out. Honestly the worst part of working for a bigger organization is the lack of speed when it comes to fixing mistakes.

I'll play around with the red anodized numbers to see if I can do anything suitable with them. I do have an extra 12 of them to play with.

I have thought of not making the numbers kinetic, and instead making the hour pointer set up like a timing indicator so that the 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 hour is also displayed.

9. k-moe

I have been wanting to heat my detached garage. I have an infrared heater, which is fine for me, but it won’t make any parts warm. I’ve been considering using a solar water system (with antifreeze) and several sand batteries. But that’s not going to happen this winter.
    I was just out in the garage putting some tools away and spied the kiln I made over the summer. Kilns make heat. Sand batteries store heat and release that heat over time. Hmmm I says to myself.
    More to come next week or so.

Oblivion likes this.
  10. k-moe

Oh. The clock is still in the works, but cold steel is cold, and I’m not interested in dealing with that anymore.

ksigurdsen likes this.
  11. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

My wood stove works fine :)

Huntchuks, k-moe and ksigurdsen like this.
  12. k-moe

Being in a city makes wood a tad expensive. I miss owning a small forest to harvest from.

13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I too am in a similar situation. I have been looking at a Mr Heater LP heater. They run $300+ and would run of a LP tank I have or a stand alone tank. Learning a little about the home made used oil heaters some are making on line too. That seems really nice and with our hobbies there will always be used oil to burn.

Hope you find a good heater option that will not make the city folks angry.

14. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Don't know if electric heat is an option, I put one of these in my garage back in 2018 and it is outstanding. I was skeptical at the price but its on its 6th season and I keep my garage at 45 all winter long, crank it up when working. Does require 8ga 40 amp circuit but I had that available.

I don't like propane heaters for two reasons, they put a lot of moisture in the air and the carbon monoxide is a real threat without ventilation. Used one years ago and ended up getting real sick once with a buddy when we were working out there. This is for the radiant and forced air, propane vented furnace type heaters are okay obviously.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200631888_200631888#

chacal and Timbox like this.
  15. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Marley Engineered Products (www.marleymep.com) makes a variety of really nice/durable (and simple, which is probably why they are durable....) 208-240V portable floor-standing heaters, 3000-5000W (20A or 30A, depending on how much heat you need). Even have 480V versions if you have access to that. We use the 208V versions (233V actual) in 400 sq. foot greenhouses and it will keep them nice & toasty even when outside temps are 5*F........and greenhouses, as you might suspect, are kinda leaky.

Marley sells them under the Marley, QMark, and Berko brand names. Older versions are Marley branded only, before Marley was sold/bought out. You can sometimes find them used on eBay, etc. for less than $ 100.00 and, like I said, they're really durable. Made in USA. Here's a new one, Berko-branded:

www.ebay.com/itm/295379395160

There are also quite a few "knock-offs" that look exactly alike, typically marketed as either "un-branded" or the ComfortZone brand, they're really inexpensive, but never had any experience with them.

k-moe and jayrodoh like this.
  16. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

24 hrs ago there was no snow..... I just got done clearing the 4th driveway of 10” of snow

17. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Time for the Indy!

18. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

My son bought me a slide/negative scanner and I found some pictures of my old 500 triples. Kawasaki500_3.png Kawasaki500_2.png Kawasaki500_1.png

19. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Those back rests would be great for 2-up wheelies!
    Did you also have a Gremlin and a Hornet?

20. k-moe

Electric is an option, but I'd have to upgrade the electrical service to the garage. As it is now I can't run the air conditioner and the air compressor at the same time in the summer.
    Eventually I'm going to install a solar hot-water system for heat. Even this far north (which isn't that far north) I can warm the garage all winter with such a system, and preheat the house's hot water tank 3/4 of the year.