1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

4Th gear slipping or what

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by iwasatoad, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Robert

Robert Active Member

The high pitched whine associated with these bikes is the result of the hypoid final drive gears but you mentioned this issue at idle so that rules that out. My education about gear boxes points to worn gears dying for a taste of the correct lube with high pitched whines (the older units need the GL-4 API non phosphate type if you have syncros, oils with the phosphate additive will eat the bronze used in the blocking rings). I'm curious as to what sound exactly your referring to as I have a whine at idle and wonder if they might be the same. This would suggest a common characteristic of the machine. It could be the alternator (though that is just an educated guess). Any chance you could post your sound?

2. iwasatoad

iwasatoad Member

i might be able to over the weekend but this sound isent at idle or reving in nutarl only when in gear and moving i know it's a normal mechanical noise but i just wonderd if it was because there are no synros because my camaro had synro's and dident do it my bro's old porsche dident have synro's and did this bike dosent and has the noise so i was just wondering

Back on Topic i tinkerd around for about 5 min when i had time to try and adjust the clutch on the cable down by the motor but was un-happy the way i left it because there was still force holding the arm up i never took the rubber boot off to adjust the one on the clutch leaver though and today i will try this but do to wet road there is no way im going to pull the throttel back in gear to find out if i fixed the problem will update agin when dry roads apper or wth (what the heck)

Maby ill find my self some dry roads 100 miles south or north of here i flip a quarter and start heading

3. iwasatoad

iwasatoad Member

well i tryed adjusting the heck out of it and iv got plenty of threading both way's it just seams like there isent enougfh lever to use i can disingauge the clutch all the way right now with 2.5mm of play and i dono it still slips or somting could it be that the gears are going out or is it just the clutch i mean it's brand new i guesss the only thing i havent done is change the oil to see if maby the rong oil was put in ill do that this week and see if that fixes it

i was also wondering how tight the line should be on the clutch i have it righ now so that the cable just puts tension on the clutch arm on the block and took it for a spin and still does it could this mean that i haf to tighten the clutch up from in side to grab tighter or any thing

thanks agin toad

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

Did you get the clutch shaft gear correctly aligned when you reinstalled the clutch cover by chance? If your off one tooth, you'll have a(n) engagement/disengagement problem that no amount of adjusting will fix. Just another thought. Check it out. Sorry if I sound like a nit, but the simple things always find a way to sneak up on you. Here's to hoping you fix it!

5. iwasatoad

iwasatoad Member

well i dident change the clutch a yamaha dealership mechanic did before i bought the bike. How ever if some one can tell me how to check this i would be hapy to do it just dono the steps and dont want to guess and check (how will i know if it's one tooth off)

6. Robert

Robert Active Member

I can only refer you to the Haynes manual. Best investment you can make until the new XJCD hits next month. You should have it as a companion guide anyway. Cheap help it is. I'll outline it to you. Page 96, Section 41, subsection 4 and 5. "4 - Assemble the clutch release shaft on the inside of the outer cover, if this was removed during overhaul. The pull rod shoudl be arranged so that it matches up with the release mechanism pinion whe the cover is fitted. To this end, position the rack portion of the rod so that it faces towards the rear of the unit and downwards, approximately 45 degrees from horizontal. 5- If the external clutch operating arm is already in place on the shaft, turn it until it lies parallel to the gasket face. Offer up the clutch cover, using a new gasket (note, I cut my own using a new one as a template, get more milage out of the better material) and allow the arm and shaft to turn back as it engages the pull rod. Fit and tighten the cover securing screws. If the external arm has yet to be fitted, note that it has an alignment dot which should coincide with the index mark on the cover when free play in the release mechanism has just been taken up. Check that the are is correctly aligned and that the external spring is in place, then fit the retaining E-clip". There are a few nice pictures in the book that would go a long way to illustrating the instructions mentioned, but I'm not equipped to provide them, yet. Good luck Toad, this one ought to be an easy one.

7. iwasatoad

iwasatoad Member

Thank's robert i hope to get some time in before the night is through to check on this allthough it's raining and the shop i have to work in is about 12miles away (no rain gear yet sold the last rain gear with the last bike) besides who want's to work on a wet bike ill dig into it on friday and see what i can do