1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

650-750 bar, cluster, & headlight swap?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by hotfrog, Jan 21, 2013.

1. hotfrog

hotfrog New Member

hi Im new to these bikes and love my 82' seca xj750 so much I bought a second xj750 that is fully dressed. Im trying to get out of the wind on my first bike which doesnt have a ferring or wind shield. At over 80mph I get tossed around quite a bit unless I lean forward where I have found a sweet spot for fast riding. Problem is the angle and height on the bars painfully distorts my wrists in this position. It seems to me that the bars on the xj650 model are in a better position and I like the classic round gage cluster and round head light look better. Im looking to swap bars, headlights, and gage cluster from the same year (82) xj650 to my xj750. does anyone know if this can be done and where I can get the parts?

2. Lewis

Lewis Member

I did it on mine, not for comfort but for the look. I replaced the whole front end of my '82 750 for a '81 650. Also did it for the rear to front wheel conversion.

But the easiest way in my opinion is to find a used top triple tree from a 650. They are made to receive standard 7/8" bars. For the cluster, sure you can swap for a 650 but at that point, buy generic aftermarket gauges and go thru the simple wiring diagram to make things work right.

My 2 ¢

3. hotfrog

hotfrog New Member

Thanks lewis, It's good to hear someone else is doing this, but since my last post I've learned that my Seca XJ 750 RJ has warning indicator lights for kick stand, brake fluid level, oil level, battery electrolyte level, head and tail idiot lights, fuel level, and fuel warning light. not found on previous models besides high beam, neutral, and turn signal lights. apparently this bike and other XJ models are one of the first attemps of applying computer technology on a motorcycle... it's a love hate thing. I guess I'll just change the bars and leave the rest alone. Oh well.