1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81 Maxim 550 starting issue

Discussion in 'Reviews - Service, Online, Retail Shop' started by SilentRaven, May 4, 2013.

1. SilentRaven

SilentRaven Member

i just got my bike the other day, rode it home and when i was about a block away it started to sputter (it was about a 5 mile ride) so i stopped and switched over to the reserve tank figuring that it was out of gas. got it home and then went to get some gas, came back about 30 mins later and realized i left my light on and now it wouldnt start, jumped it using a car batter and got it running but then it died as soon as i put it in gear. went and bought a new battery for it but then it still wasnt really starting, the engine was starting up but only if i gave it full throttle, and would die as soon as i released the throttle or put it into gear. now it wont even start the engine it just does the start up noises but doesnt kick over. i have ordered a new solenoid for it but hasnt arrived yet. im starting to think its something with not getting fuel? but im just looking for any suggestions really. i dont have a truck to take it too a shop so im trying to use what little knowledge of engines i have to get ti running. the battery is brand new, its gettign good (blue) spark from the plugs, and i have a new solenoid arriving soon.

1981 Yamaha Maxim 550 17k miles

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Josh

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Start a new thread in "XJ Chat" this is for reviews of shops or services.

A bike with 17K on it that starts fine cold but then won't run once warm is probably in need of a valve adjustment, and right now. Plus you will have carb work to do. And brakes.

We'll discuss this in the new thread.

3. SilentRaven

SilentRaven Member

sorry clearly im new, i moved the post. mods please feel free to delete this thread