1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'81 Seca 750 leaking gas when running

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Grifo21, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Grifo21

Grifo21 New Member

Hey y'all, sorry if this is the wrong forum, feel free to move this where it fits!

I bought this bike a bit under week ago it's been running great since.

Tonight, I noticed it was idling lower than usual and didn't seem to want to stay running, regardless of clutch. I started to roll out of the drive way when I noticed a puddle of gas where my bike had been sat. There went my evening plans...

I'm assuming it's a carb issue but I don't know what could've caused it. There is a gas filter installed and, like I said, there have been no issues with it in the past week & ~200 miles.

Tapping on the back of the float bowls with the back of a screwdriver didn't fix the issue

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

2. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Probably a problem with the petcock as well as a bad float needle. Smell you oil and see if it smells like gas and if so, you need to change the oil before running the bike again. I had one of the clear plastic fuel filters that started leaking were the nipple comes out of the filter. Couldn't see the leak until the bike was running and vibrating the fuel line and filter.

Grifo21 likes this.
  3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

First, find out if the gas is coming from the tank, or the petcock, or from the filter clamps, or fuel line clamp at the T, somewhere along the o-rings, or from a bowl drain screw, or the bowl gasket.........if NO to all those, then you go farther; is It coming from the airbox, or the crankcase vent tube.......if it’s draining from the bottom of the airbox, you gotta. Find out if it’s coming from the carbs or from the crankcase backing up.

it boils down to narrowing it down first

Grifo21 and k-moe like this.
  4. Grifo21

Grifo21 New Member

It was coming out of the airbox, in checking it again yesterday, it's no longer leaking and the idle sounds normal. The oil does smell a bit like gas so it's either at the carb on crank case that's filling up, right?

Checking the spark plugs, 3/4 have black deposits on them which means the mix might be running rich(?) (I'm still new to motorcycle mechanics)

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Keep an eye on your oil level......
    It doesn’t take much gas to smell like gas, but if the oil level has gone up, your oil is getting thinner out..... you’d want to change that quick

Grifo21 likes this.
  6. Grifo21

Grifo21 New Member

That's my plan if the leak has stopped for sure! 2.3 liters of 20w50 for warm weather, new oil filter, and air filter