1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81 xj550 bobber build

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by George Woods, Feb 25, 2018.

1. George Woods

George Woods Member

Well i picked this bike up in pieces from the previous owner taking it apart. I paid $180 for it and have been forever working on it since. When i got it the motor eas spray painted black and in awful condition, carbs (luckily its the mikuni carbs) came in a bag all taken apart, it had no seat the rear fender was all sliced up, and to say the least the bike was hacked and in very poor condition, so i stripped it down n started to clean,everything up, painted the frame black with vht gloss black chassis and roll bar paint, and cleaned the motor down and painted it gloss black with aome VHT gloss black engine enamel, made some hard tail links n lowered the rear end quite drastically, made an exhaust for it as it had none when i got it, i made a custom rear fender from a beat up 1960 harley duo glide rear fender that i got from a bike that was in an accident, i made a custom springer seat set up and custom seat pan for it from some sheet metal and valve springs from a Volkswagen i had laying around the shop, took all the wiring down to bare minimum, aftermarket speedo & tach. I still have alot to do but its come a far way from when i got it.

Plans are
    Tc bro's foorward controls
    3.3 gallon axed mustang style dual cap gas tank
    Steel braided fuel line
    New fuel filter
    Port N polishing intake exhaust ports
    Carbs being rebuilt & rejetted
    Pod air filters
    Ngk plugs
    All new fluids & filters
    Exhaust wrapping header n exhaust
    Aftermarket head light lens with HID bulb and amber LED running lights built in
    Side mount plate bracket with iron cross tail/brake light
    (Not running any turn signals) i know the hand motions
    Road 6 customs holey roller black 7/8 8" rise z bars
    New Black throttle lever & longer throttle cable
    New Black clutch lever
    New Black front brake master/lever
    7/8 mirror brackets
    After market black mirrors mounted to the underside of the bars
    New bar mount head light switch
    Black spike handle grips
    Custom made kick stand
    White wall tires
    All custom painted tank n rear fender (black with tribal n skulls om sides of tank)
    (Eventually will have a custom leather cover made for the custom seat pan)
    New red chain
    Upgraded sprockets (to get a higher top speed)
    Steel braided front caliper hose
    Rebuild rear drum brake
    Rebuilding the forks
    And a few other odds n ends hopefully have it about done in the next few months.
    FB_IMG_1519541141640.jpg
    I made hard tail links in case i ever wanted to ride longer distance i can throw a set of shocks back on & take it back to stock height for comfortability reasons. But this was the day i brought it home after making the hard tail links and installing the gauges since it had none

FB_IMG_1519541134340.jpg you can see the mess of wiring that it was and the red loom the previous owner put on everything

FB_IMG_1519541067238.jpg
    The custom exhaust i made

FB_IMG_1519541058432.jpg
    Another pic of the exhaust painted with some gloss black grille paint
    FB_IMG_1519541039987.jpg FB_IMG_1519541043143.jpg

FB_IMG_1519541036660.jpg

FB_IMG_1519541031257.jpg

FB_IMG_1519541025725.jpg

FB_IMG_1519541093990.jpg

FB_IMG_1519541090246.jpg

FB_IMG_1519541081118.jpg
    Custom springer seat set up and 1960 harley fenders i picked up

FB_IMG_1519541046032.jpg

FB_IMG_1519541108707.jpg
    Playing around test fitting fenders on the rear which i endeduo cutting down later
    20180218_135249.jpg
    Side pic of the fender after being cut down n decided not to run a front fender

2. George Woods

George Woods Member

20180218_134214.jpg
    Another shot of the rear fender after being cut down
    20180218_143158.jpg
    Painted the rear fender black just to keep it from rusting for the time being. Will be completely stripped down to bare metal again when i get a chance to n fix a few spots n finish smoothing the edges where it was cut and being prepped for paint
    20180224_140718.jpg
    Stripped it down to repaint the motor n frame n go through the wiring n eliminate all the unnecessary stuff
    20180224_191607.jpg after repainting the motor n frame and going through the wiring and putting it back together for now and i covered the seat pan
    20180224_190525.jpg picture of the seat after being covered
    20180218_193549.jpg
    Pic of my bike n my boss's 1960 harley duo glide we have to start rebuilding soon

3. George Woods

George Woods Member

Screenshot_20180219-012040.png
    This is the tank im planning on using
    Screenshot_20180219-011846.png
    The bars im planning on using
    Screenshot_20180219-012147.png
    The forward controls im planning on using

4. George Woods

George Woods Member

received_165803080730507.jpeg
    Paint design im planning on doing on my tank (or at least close)

5. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

You're going to have to do a thread on the panhead as well. That's a pretty sweet ride!

Not sure if you are going with painted bars, but I believe that there is a ground in the controls that goes through the bars. You'll need to remove some paint in order for it to work.

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Take the pods off of your list, and you'll have a sound plan.

Jetfixer likes this.
  7. George Woods

George Woods Member

When i start helping my boss start rebuilding his harley i defintely make a thread on it. Was redone about 20 years ago, has an 8 degree rake on the front end n lots of chrome n custom paint but it lost compression on the rear cylinder and he parked it n its been in storage for the last 5 years til a week or so ago he decided tl get it out n all thw chrome needs redone, its got a pretty bad oil leak coming from the check valve by the oil filter, and the paints pretty rough so its gunne need alot of work. As far as my bike goes the carbs are being done professionally to be set up for the pod filters also has the 4 to 1 exhaust with no baffling just an open pipe so its going to need rejetted regardless n also porting & polishing the intake n exhaust ports, so think im probably going to go with a stage 4 jet kit

8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

So, it's a vintage Harley!

George Woods likes this.
  9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i might have to invite myself over to see this one

George Woods likes this.
  10. George Woods

George Woods Member

20180226_112624.jpg
    Gayges on my bike, still gotta wire them in n gotta get some tubing to change the back bone of the frame for the new tank set
    20180226_204129.jpg got it just about torn down to start doing the back bone as soon as i get some tubing to start on it. Gotta find some 1 5/8" x.134 mild steel tubing. Ordered a mustang style dual cap tank, a new battery, blue LED's, black spike grips, new mirror brackets, mirrors, exhaust wrap, adhesive spray and bands for the exhaust wrap, TC Bro's forward controls and a few other odds n ends.

I did pull the rear wheel n rebuild tbe rear drum brake today and got it all,back together and working properly.

11. George Woods

George Woods Member

Going with a set of black road 6 customs 7/8" holey roller 8" rise z bars so i have to find where i can get longer clutch n throttle cable, along with longer front brake hose which id like to change the front brake hoses to steel braided. Also need to get new front brake master cylinder, new clutch lever, new throttle lever, and a switch for the head light/ tail light.

Other thing i need to get figured out is a brake switch for the rear brake since my bike doesnt have a brake light switch for the rear brake on it.

Have alot of wiring to do on it as im going with all aftermarket lighting. Using a 7" head light with amber LED running lights built in n street fighter style head light brackets with HID head light kit, and im going with a side mount plate bracket with iron cross tail/brake light with LED bulb (bike is a bobber, it will not have turn signals or horn) also eliminating the kickstand switch and a few other odds n ends.

Tires im going with shinko 777 wide white walls 130/90r17 rear 100/90r19 front and painting the wheels red

Motor is getting the intake n exhaust ports all polished, ngk plugs, i havd tbe mikuni carbs getting rebuilt with stage 4 jets pod filters, i have the 4 to 1 exhaust with 2 1/2" piping from header back to a 3" chrome tip all being wrapped in black exhaust wrap, back to the chrome tip. Motor is all blacked out. Valve cover will be painted red. Red breather filter on the crank case vent. And want yo find chromed engine side covers for it

Tank and rear fender will be all custom painted, chrome fuel caps, seat will be getting re covered with s custom made leather cover

Have alot of plans n alot of work ahead of me but will be worth it when its all done.

12. George Woods

George Woods Member

received_565359227153025.jpeg
    Got the exhaust wrapped and put back on
    received_565359237153024.jpeg
    New grips came in, new mirror brackets n mirrors
    received_565359223819692.jpeg
    received_565359233819691.jpeg
    received_565359230486358.jpeg
    Forwadd controls had to be custom fit, had to redrill the bottom hole cause they were for an xj750, still need to get linkage kit but slowly its comin together.

Tomorrow im painting the front caliper, and the valve cover red, and putting a red breather filter on the crank case. And soon ill be painting the wheels red.

13. Deathboner727

Deathboner727 New Member

I would change your hard tail setup on shaft side. I broke the stud on mine. There is now a bracket welded to the axle.

Attached Files:

14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The 550 is chain driven.

15. Deathboner727

Deathboner727 New Member

Yeah that’s true. I’m just saying that a lot of people that hard tail these bikes should beef them up more.

16. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Is your swing arm welded in place or can it still pivot on the bearings?

17. George Woods

George Woods Member

It can still pivot in case i ever wanna put shocks back on it

18. George Woods

George Woods Member

20180228_112526.jpg
    20180228_112520.jpg
    All i got s chance to do so far today. Hopefully get time to work on it more later

19. George Woods

George Woods Member

20180228_194234.jpg 20180228_200106.jpg 20180228_212744.jpg
    20180228_212815.jpg
    20180228_214517.jpg got a little bit done tonight, having mixed feelingson what to do in white. Vakbe cover, generator cover amd crank side covers will be painted white. So this is wherei need everyones help.

Motor: white n black with red breather filter
    Frame n main part of motor: gloss black
    Front caliper: red
    Rear fender n tank will be satin black with matte finish clear n jack daniels logo on sides of tank
    Using white wall tires

Now my question, paint wheels white?? Or red??

20. George Woods

George Woods Member

Or should i paint the wheels white n paint the tank n rear fender white as well.