1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81 xj550 maxim- electrical problems

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MJCXJ550, Sep 10, 2019.

1. MJCXJ550

MJCXJ550 New Member

Done with rebuilding the carbs and the engine top end and it is running great now. I should mention that I saw a recent post on the subject of how important it is to replace the throttle shaft seals and o-rings. Well I was one of those that tried to get by without breaking down the carbs all the way and replacing seals/o-rings. I agree, do it right the first time....I learned the hard way.
    On to the electrical issues.
    * Turn signals don't work. No turn lights come on and the signal indicator doesn't light. Wiring looks good and checked connections and replaced fuse.
    * Have an intermittent issue where I turn on the key and the taillight lights up all the time but sometimes the neutral light doesn't come on and I press the starter button and nothing happens. With the key still on the neutral light may randomly come on. Usually I have to turn the key off then back on a few times then the starter will all of a sudden work again. Headlight works fine when it starts and hi/low beam works and high beam indicator.
    Sorry for the long post...just wanted to give enough info on the problem.
    Looking for steps I should take to track down the problems.

2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The tail light on the 550 is powered directly by the output of the ignition switch and is fused only by the main fuse, so it is not related to the signal fuse, which powers the neutral light, horn, turn signals, self cancelling unit, and brake lights. Replacing the fuse is not always a solution, so verify the brake light and horn are functioning OK to verify power is being delivered through the fuse, or use a DMM to verify the output side of the fuse box is at or near 12V when the key is set to run. Note that if the fuse box has not been upgraded / repaired they are a likely source of electrical issues.

https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/how-to-install-an-aftermarket-fuse-box.6350/

If you are confident in the fuse box power then there could be a number of things disabling the turn signals, but I would start at the turn signal flasher because none of the lights are illuminating. Disconnect the flasher relay (under the tank) and jumper from the Br to the Br/W wire on the turn signal flasher mating connector on the main harness, the signals should illuminate either left or right depending on which side is selected by the control switch on the handlebar. If the two sides can be illuminated with the jumper then either the flasher relay is bad or the self cancelling unit is defective or is not being reset by the switch in the handlebar. Note that disconnecting the self cancelling unit will eliminate it as it supplies 12V to disable the flasher relay.

The starter cutoff relay is controlled by the neutral switch so the starter will not engage unless the bike is in neutral OR when in gear if the clutch is pulled in AND the side stand is up, of course the latter condition assumes a functioning clutch switch and side stand switch. Since the neutral light is intermittent it may be indicating an issue with the neutral switch and consequently disabling the starter cutoff relay so the starter will not engage. Next time it happens try pulling the clutch in with the side stand up and see if the starter will engage - note do this when all is working also just to confirm the clutch and side stand switch are functioning as intended. Also note as above that this could be related to a defective fuse box.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

stock bulbs? 27 watt is needed

open the control there is a little phenolic board where the hot from relay connects solder joint be broken (or all three joints) that would explain why no lights come on. the indicator bulb on the maxim grounds through the blinker bulb on the opposite side that is flashing

i use a fuse holder to jump across glass fuses to eliminate it as the problem

you can test for voltage on the output of relay amd input

fuse clip lead.JPG

maxim wiring for blinkers
    003.JPG

4. XJ550H

neutral light remove left foot peg remove shifter mark it so you reinstall in same spot.
    pull shifter cover. neutral switch is under cover there is a wire hooked to the switch could have fallen off or loose it is held in place with a screw.

with wire off test neutral switch it should give an ohm or continuity test buzz when meter is hooked to ground and the screw.

switch could be bad or your just having trouble finding neutral

if you ground the wire neutral light should come on

5. XJ550H