1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81 xj550 maxima won't charge past 13.5 volts

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Triharder, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Triharder

Triharder New Member

Please help?

Notes from Chacal writeup:
    I have .8/.8/.8 resistance between stator wires. white to white all three pairs. (higher than spec although i'm been told it might be the meter as this is a small resistance value to measure)
    I also get beep at continuity between stator wires(white) and ground (all three??) to negative on battery? I believe this is short somewhere? Not sure that makes sense.
    (I get AC voltage at all three wires to each other when bike is running, as listed below)

I have 6.5 ohms between brown and green (higher than spec).
    Brushes look new to me and measure that way, cleaned the rings on the rotor up to shiny metal a few times.

From the grounds at the stator wires should i be purchasing a new stator? (looks like they go for $181 bucks?)

The tests i've conducted:

New to me 81 xj550. 11k miles looks like its never seen rain. copper connectors have very minimum tarish (i cleaned with 1000 grit to make them new, although most likely scratching the connector actually damaging the coating)

Runs great, all lights etc work, tach cable broken.
    running battery reads 12.8 to 13.5 max at higherr than 3k rpm

Cleaned w/1000 grit and ox-guarded the following
    Ground from battery to frame
    Male spades on stator and coil
    Also coils and grounds for god measure

Donor battery 13.3 volts litium from cbr for testing.

Brushes at 11mm exposed well past wear bar (look new)
    Stator rings dirty to start but now clean.
    Tested at 5.5 ohms

Magnetic pull test failed at switch on at cover and slightly better at 2k but still faint.

White resistance from stator at .8 .8 .8 which is high out of spec should be .4 to .6

Red to green resistance at 6.5 ohm (not part of troubleshooting)

Swirch on
    Green to ground is 1 v off
    Brown to ground is 12.5
    Running
    Green .75 volts
    Brown 12.2

Running ac at whites is
    10.3 idle all three
    Running 2 at 13.5 at 3k rpm one set at 10.5 at 3k rpm

Reg rec passed diode test

Red at reg/rec plug is 12.6 to battery ground
    0 black to ground.

Sorry for the long winded first post. I.m trying to fix whats broke and pass the bike forward so trying to avoid shotgun approach.

Note fuse box looks brand new wires ar each side are 12.5 switch on. I know its suspect but looks usable for troubleshooting.

I also jumped the green to ground directly to see if magnet got stronger or voltage at battery increased it did not.

Wire at switch is 12.5.

Not sure if i suspect wire or stator? Rotor ring checked sat.

Notes from Chacal writeup:
    I have .8/.8/.8 resistance between stator wires. white to white all three pairs. (higher than spec)
    I also get beep at continuity between stator wires(white) and ground (all three??) to negative on battery? I believe this is short somewhere? Not sure that makes sense.
    (I get AC voltage at all three wires to each other, as listed above)

I have 6.5 ohms between brown and green (higher than spec).
    Brushes look new to me and measure that way, cleaned the rings on the rotor up to shiny metal a few times,

From the grounds at the stator wires should i be purchasing a new stator? (looks like they go for $181 bucks?)

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Run it for about an hour..IE: riding , check voltage if it still 12v + your okay , if voltage drops then yes you might have a problem . The voltage regulator also controls output you don't want more than 13 to 14 volt output . More than that can boil the battery after a period of time . Now if your battery is below 11 v and you cannot get it above 12 v while running suspect a charging problem.

3. Triharder

Triharder New Member

Turned out to be the stator. Was grounded out. fast turn around by Ricky's Motorsports electronics and she'll charging like a champ now.

Note this is a duplicate post.
    Moderators please close this thread.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

does rickys rewind the stator or send it out?

5. Triharder

Triharder New Member

Well, they rewound it I believe? However, I dropped it off on a Thursday to the front desk at 1pm. They tested it and some regulators I had for the XJ and my VFR on Friday morning and called me to discuss. We discussed turn around time and payment. They said it was 3 to 4 weeks to turn around the stator. On Tuesday this week they called for payment and i received it back on Thursday. On the phone she did say "sent it out". So i really don't know if they did it in house or if they sent it somewhere?

I don't have a way of knowing if they rewound the one I provided or happened to have a core that they transfer out when a New Core comes in.

They are very friendly and I'm sure they'd be happy to discuss it with you if you needed clarification. (I was pretty bummed when they said 4 weeks I'm in southern Maine and the season she's coming to an end without heated gear).

Sorry, that's not much of an answer.

I did have some trouble getting the new stator installed and get the cover to close and grommet lined up with the brush wires. I had to cut one of the nylon strap so the cords would lay flat (possibly in the end that may have not been necessary). It was a real struggle to get the cove to sit flush and from experience they don't bend stuff just breaks if its not lined up.

In the end the bolts had to pull the cover flush or the cover would sit with a slight opening with just my hand pressure. (I didn't force it I swear so perhaps the alignment with my hand was off slightly. I investigated the tabs on the stator, mounted the cover without it installed and it sat flush. Then the stator without cover seemed to sit flush. The gap was towards the rear wheel not on the bottom with the grommet. I was getting pretty worked up as I was wondering what could possibly be different about this stator (the resin wasn't sloppy or proud, the wires weren't bulky or anything obvious.

it was a frustrating 30 minute exercise.

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I'm in NH
    I dont need one repaired but good to know a source.