1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81 xj550 project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by saftie, Mar 29, 2015.

1. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

was without a project for too long and also wanted a second bike for when i don't want to take my baby out.

found this bike a few weeks ago, price was fair. of course it did not run. that would have been too easy. it turns over, the carbs are with Dave at the moment.

[​IMG]

i wasn't really sure what to go for in the beginning. but the tank had to go. i just could not get used to the shape.
    tank itself is in good shape, it is just surface rust, inside is pretty clean.
    found a suzuki tank that works well with the bike.
    other than that, i cut the frame, build a custom seat get a new speedo and changed the triple tree top. but i will keep the airbox and put side covers on

[​IMG]

originally, i made it fit by using a hammer and dent in the inside. however, than tank was too low and too far back. today, i took off the brackets and will move them up and forward.

i have been busy stripping the bike to pretty much the frame. once i am done with all the work on the frame, it goes off to powder coating and i will start cleaning up the engine.

[​IMG]
    yucky

cut frame and attached hoop. still needs to be welded into place. but this will happen next week or so.
    [​IMG]

more to come

2. saftie

got the basic template for the seat pan. it will not sit on the frame, i will weld brackets to lift it about half of an inch. i will fiber glass it, makes it easier to get a nice transition to the tank. i think i will add a small hump in the back for a better flow of the lines. but it will most likely be shaped out of seat foam

[​IMG]

headlight i will be using. the speedo will sit in there. happens to have two light bulbs in there. will wire the neutral light into one. maybe turn signal indicator to the other. dunno yet

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

why is your front sprocket sitting in your mulch pile?:rolleyes:
    that looks like what I found as well as a sapling when I removed that cover

4. saftie

Ha. And i already took some of it out.

5. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

I found a waxy/greasy mess with a bunch of dead O-rings when I opened mine up the first time.

FU

6. saftie

i was expecting some sort of dead animal. but lucky me, nothing :)

got some stuff done today: tank brackets relocated and welded, fiber glass seat pan built, brackets for that welded to frame and test fitted. still needs to be cut into shape. sits about half an inch up. did that on purpose. looks actually much nicer in person
    here she is so far

[​IMG]

7. saftie

another one. sorry about the huge pics. it's how the link from photobucket displays them
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Pic sizes are perfect.

jordan smith likes this.
  9. saftie

not much time these days because i am riding my bike or spend the weekend with my kids.
    today, i finished up the seat pan and cleaned up the top tree
    i also received my speedo which fits nicely into the bucket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. saftie

Finished up all welding today

New mount for tank in seat area
    [​IMG]

New fork stop so clipons don't hit tank. Still need to be cut and cleaned up.
    [​IMG]

Additional mount for side covers (yet to be fabricated)
    [​IMG]

Cleaned wheels a little to see what I've got.
    need to refer to manual how to remove the rubber thingies in the rear wheel hub.
    [​IMG]

Next on list is to grind all the welds to finish up the frame before having it powder coated. Hopefully this will happen next weekend.
    Headlight bucket needs some fiberglass work to close holes. Tank needs to be welded. Since it is a Suzuki tank, there is a too big opening on top. Seat pan needs extra fiberglass work for nice transition to tank before it is off to upholstery. Have yet to figure out where to take it.

So I finally decided on colors for the tank and headlight bucket.
    not sure yet about wheels. I keep thinking black powder coat.
    Does anyone have pics of their powder coated wheels? All black.

11. colehole

colehole Member

Satin black powder coat on my wheels

Attached Files:

12. saftie

frame is all done and will go to powder coating next week. seat pan is finished, i added the lock nuts (or whatever they are called). tank mount is also done, everything fitted nicely. and yes, the tank is not centered in the pic. i fixed it afterwards

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. saftie

With frame and seat pan done, I started to clean up some parts. Worst part of every project in my eyes.
    It looks like this bike has never seen a detailed cleaning, and it almost feels like all the chain grease of the last 30+ years just collected around the front and rear sprockets. I am trying different degreasers at the moment but more cleaning is needed. I hope I find the best one before I get to the engine next week or so.

Question: the engine is out, how do I make it waterproof so I can clean everything without having to worry about water getting in? Would love to hose it down after I degreased it. And I don't really want to take it apart, even though it would make cleaning easier. An engine rebuild is planned for the winter. Also, could water get into the engine through where the front sprocket is?

14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

If you stick to using a garden hose you have nothing to worry about (unless you have pods, in which case you should use rubberbands to secure plastic bags around the pods). Motorcycles are engineered to be ridden in rain.
    Unless the output shaft seal is really bad you won't get any water inside the engine by spraying water there. Since there is so much oil buildup you might want to consider pulling the sprocket off and inspecting the seal, or just replacing it.

I just looked back and noticed that you have the engine out. Stuff the intake and exhaust with rags, or cover them with waterproof tape.

Again, garden hose pressure only. No pressure washers.

15. saftie

Thanks. And yes, no pressure washer.
    Think I will use tape and put the rubber intake manifolds on top to securely hold it in place.

16. saftie

got new shoes and bearings installed today

[​IMG]

17. saftie

frame was finally dropped off to get powder coated, i am also having the tank media blasted.
    other than that, not much time this weekend because i took care of my baby: new ECU, new air filter, thorough check of all wires and hidden components and a good cleaning in spots where nobody will ever look.

[​IMG]

18. saftie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

desmotom likes this.
  19. saftie

Frame comes back next week. Tomorrow I will paint wheels and forks and check shims. And once the headlight bucket is sanded, everything should be ready for assembly next weekend.

20. saftie

Shiny...
    [​IMG]