1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81 xj650 Cafe Cruiser

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by KeithK, Apr 29, 2021.

1. KeithK

KeithK New Member

Hello Folks!

I bought an 81 cj650 last year and want to do some mods to it. Bike ran well, brakes sucked and a death wobble at about 50. I’m trying to address those issues while turning it into a cafe cruiser. First time doing this and hopefully starting with a good base will help. Taking the wheels to get bearings changed out. Removing forks to clean up. Can I just replace the master cylinder and lines with a new replacement? Keeping the same style bars but getting black ones.

Attached Files:

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

It would probably be cheaper to just rebuild the master cylinder. Definitely want to change the lines with stainless steel setups. Are supporting vendor sells some nice ones. Completely DOT approved unlike most of the steel lines you buy. And you know they fit

3. XJ550H

Don't forget to check the headstock bearings while you're doing the forks and you may want to take a look at the swing on bushings bearings all those can contribute to the death wobble.

4. XJ550H

A CJ huh must be a Jeep my friend has a jeep that is an XJ as well surprising how many of those parts show up when you're looking for motorcycle parts. This should really be in the modification form
    maybe the moderatetor
    as we'll move it there

5. KeithK

KeithK New Member

ohh those were shot to hell and rusted out. Replacing those as well. haha I did say CJ. I think i can fix that... I fat fingered it

XJ550H likes this.
  6. 50gary

50gary Active Member

All Balls Racing will sell you the bearings for wheels, headset. As long as you have the forks out, I would flush out the fork internals. I use deodorized kerosene, for parts washer fluid it's cheap and does a good job.
    You will be amazed how much grit comes out
    Vintage forks probably 15wt fork oil. The proper way to set the amount of fork oil is to clean the inside and completely drain cleaning fluid. With forks compressed and vertical (not in fork clamps)
    and springs OUT. Measure down from the top of chrome fork tube to the oil level, should be about 4'' ~ 5" Now I say about but to be exact call Race Tech they will tell you Matt is the Vintage bike guy at Race Tech they are very helpful.
    I may call them tomorrow just to be in the know? I use Galfer brand Stainless Steel brake lines. They are also DOT approved and very professional. I use two full length brake lines, using a dual banjo bolt at the M/C then one line to left and right calipers. This a more direct path and will give better feel and half the joints. Have fun and welcome to the Forum.
    Cheers, 50gary