1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82' 750 Resurrection

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Brandon Spencer, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Brandon Spencer

Brandon Spencer Member

Been moving right along with getting the bike built up. Swing arm is now in, temp front end built ect.

Found some more parts I needed and placed an order with Chacal.

Now today I got the carb rack in and was working with the airbox boots (what a pain). I think the boots I have are not for a Seca...they seem to be too long and do not allow for the box to sit forward enough for the screw holes.

Can't seem to find any on Ebay while I know Chacal has aftermarket ones. Thoughts?

20200518_085325.jpg 20200519_154029.jpg 20200522_164605.jpg 20200522_165339.jpg

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the air boots have an orentation that little tab on top fits into 2 tabs on air box

750 maxim and seca use the same boots

3. Brandon Spencer

Brandon Spencer Member

Are those tabs locating just inside the box? There are none on the outside for the rubber tab to fit into

20200522_181422.jpg

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

1. The little rubber nub on top of the boot should be oriented at the top of the airbox hole. If the two indexing bumps have broken if, it doesn’t matter.... just center the nub at 12:00.

2. Have you pushed the airbox all the way forward and tightened the mounting bolts?

3. Do NOT grease them. The airbox boots need a DRY fit onto the carbs..... otherwise they will slide off when you tighten the clamps

5. Brandon Spencer

Brandon Spencer Member

No grease used, only heat to make them soft.

At this point the box is all the way forward and the nubs are just inside. I cannot seem to get them to go flush, I may need to just purchase all new ones as these are pretty stiff...

Also got your shim and clearance is good! Posting pics in a bit

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Gotta get that lip to the outside. The airbox surface sits in the groove between the lips

7. Brandon Spencer

Brandon Spencer Member

I will give it another shot!

8. Brandon Spencer

Brandon Spencer Member

My final shim came in from Hogfiddles and now all valves are in spec!

Closed up the top end with a new valve cover gasket and fresh bolt seals.

Moved onto installing the exhaust today, new hardware kit worked like a charm from Chacal.

Hope to get this thing fired up this week once wire harness is back in :)

20200524_154100.jpg 20200524_154557.jpg 20200524_162922.jpg 20200524_165557.jpg 20200525_172318.jpg 20200525_173247.jpg 20200525_185445.jpg

9. Brandon Spencer

Brandon Spencer Member

Parts in from Chacal and eBay!

Threw on some of those along with new oil filter o-ring, filter and bolt. New engine oil and final drive oil in!

Reading through another post I realized I over torqued the swing arm; inch pounds vs. ft pounds. So pulled entire swing arm off and checked everything over, all good. Re-installed and torqued to proper specs this time.

Now in the pic below when I pulled parts off originally I placed this 3" spacer and washer(?) together with the rear axle. Now I assume the spacer goes into the hub of the final drive unit for the axle, no idea about the washer though. I do not see it in any parts diagrams...not sure if PO added it or if it actually belongs somewhere.

Jumped the starter to listen to the engine turning over, sounds nice and smooth.

Working on those airbox boots and getting the wire harness in tomorrow!

20200526_175835.jpg 20200526_185748.jpg 20200526_195717.jpg

10. Brandon Spencer

Brandon Spencer Member

Well went ahead and got the wire harness in and hooked everything up to get her to run!

She's alive! A bit rough with the airbox not hooked up but it runs!

Reached out to Chacal to solve the boot issue and turns out I have boots for a 650 (they are longer and are angled). So ordered a correct 750 set

Need to clean up my work area and begin work on the forks, brakes and headlight.

Later today I will do a warm compression test to see what my numbers are. Bike started without any start fluid and minimum choke. Had to adjust idle and fuel mix a little to get all cylinders to run.

Youtube Link -

Jonathon Kent, hogfiddles and SQLGuy like this.
  11. Brandon Spencer

Brandon Spencer Member

Ok so got it warmed up and performed compression test...

Cyl 1 - 105
    Cyl 2 - 105
    Cyl 3 - 120
    Cyl 4 - 105

Not too siked about these numbers since they are lower than when I first got the bike...not sure if the new rings need time to seat in properly for a good seal (gaps where all checked before install)

Maybe I fudged up the ring orientation? Gaps facing particular ways, the manual does not explain that one so had to do some research.

Checked and I have no oil leaks at any of the gasket surfaces.

I am certain that my timing is right but can always tear the cover off and triple check...

On another note I noticed that Cyl 3 and 4 where not firing all the time and were receiving too much air. Covered carbs with hand and they jumped to life. Hoping once my airbox boots get in that it will solve that issue. Obviously need to to a proper carb sync as well.