1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 maxim chopped,lowered and much much more..

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by JapRatXJ, Aug 12, 2010.

1. JapRatXJ

JapRatXJ New Member

Ill keep the pics coming guys i really do appreciate the input and i have no problem with helping anyone that needs it, orange and black thanks for looking out man i see what your saying as far as gussets one thing i never accounted for was that this bike is shaft driven meaning its gonna tend to twist..safety should always be first with this kinda stuff do it right the first time if you do a single bar.. I have some plans for the xj for this summer was thinking a whitewall in the rear,fork boots, have to finish the handlebars and rebuild the forks. Was just messin around on paint and came up with this...[​IMG]

2. aharon

aharon Member

JapRatJX, you do not seem to run out of ideas - good for you!
    Whe white stripe on the rear tire is instant character - I like the vintage look it adds to the bike. I got the image attached at motorcycle philippines.com. "Paint" is all I got, and the forum's size limitations forced me to chop the front well. go to http://www.motorcyclephilippines.com/fo ... p?t=239000 to see the original.
    Adding an "accordion" black rubber pant to the forks seems to go in the same general direction of the bike's personality, I mean, matte black. Good thinking.
    Is that a harley tank? It looks like the Sportster's.
    Dude, I say! Your bobber looks real cool. Just keep the safety issue on your mind. Your comment on shafties tending to twist the frame under revving makes sense, but collapsing under weight/stress is more fearsome - I guess that is what Orange-n-black had in mind. Go easy on it at first, check the backbone integrity after every few rides, or - gusset or no gusset - beef it up right from the start!
    Keep'em pitches a-coming, buddy!
    Aharon

Attached Files:

3. JapRatXJ

JapRatXJ New Member

aharon man people like you are really what keeps me motivated in building stuff like this. Ive got more projects/ideas brewing in my head i dont even know how i live a normal life lol anywhere from the shifter cart project in my basement, to my 240sx track/street car, to my lifted jeep cherokee offroading/ daily driver, and my latest project is a bike im building for my friend its a 73 cb350 twin im extending it 5 inches and lowering it ill be sure to snap some pics even though it isnt an xj! As far as a whitewall im not sure exactly what tire to go with still have some research to do that one you posted looks nice id like the stripe to be a bit wider i think.

4. JapRatXJ

JapRatXJ New Member

Well i have a couple pictures of my bike that i took for a member of the forum to show how i modified the seat bars, notice my unfinished airbox with the briggs and stratton air filter haha works great and is space saving! at the same time i snapped a pic of my other project which ive only started stripping down and began simplifying the wiring, o and btw i am using a king size sportster tank aharon! enjoy the pics hope everyone can benefit from them...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cb350t this bike is gonna be cool
    [​IMG]

5. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

Love that custom Air filter!!!

6. SBSTebbe

SBSTebbe Member

Since you lowered yours did you just use an aftermarket coils that were shorter or did you do alter the frame and make some bends as well? I'm new to this and just bought one I want to lower and have been trying to find either aftermarket struts or new springs as I have no welding experience to really alter the frame and hardtail it myself.

7. skillet

skillet Active Member

There's another post going on now on the "CHAT" forum. I put Suzuki Savage (10 1/2") on my bike. It dropped the rear right at 2 1/2". No problems (for me) with handling or bottoming out...

skillet

8. aharon

aharon Member

SBSTebbe, is this your first bike ever, or do you have previous riding experience? Believe me, there is a reason for my asking - it has to do with modding and safety.

9. ProfessorBooty

ProfessorBooty Member

How well does the bike run with the modified air box? Did you rejet? I like the idea of your air box vs pods esp. after reading the many threads on here about pods. This looks like a good compromise that allows some restriction and smoothing of the air flow before hitting the carbs.

I am thinking of doing something similar and wanted to get your opinion. Thanks.

10. prince_albert3

prince_albert3 Member

I'm pretty sure I read this thread some time ago, back when it was alive. Anyhow, I really like your build. More precisely, what you've done with the airbox to allow the room for lowering the seat rails!

I've always wondered if doing something like you did would work. I'd LOVE to be able to lower my seat rails. I have not done it yet because the cost/befit of using pods wasn't worth the hassle and loss of power.

I see that you also altered your exhaust system which usually results in subsequent carb tuning/jetting. Like the Professor before me, I'd really like to know how your airbox mod worked for you, preferably pre-exhaust mod?

I am slightly apprehensive about cutting the airbox too. Anyone know how well an XS airbox will mate up?

11. prince_albert3

prince_albert3 Member

Nothing...? Has anybody else gone this route?

From all my reading on here, one of the main issues is the disrupted air entering the carbs. I feel like this airbox mod should work good with the partial airbox and boots lending them selves to forming the air flow pattern.

I'm sure this mod has been done by others. I don't mean to hijack the thread so perhaps anyone with any opinions or experience could pm me, please!!!

12. KumanK

KumanK Member

Good looking Skoot... I love the tank and exhaust!!!

13. KumanK

KumanK Member

If you could put a number on the exhaust what did the materials cost...? that is if you dont mind me asking.

14. Davehanssens

Davehanssens New Member

Did you manage to fine a set of fork boots to fit?

15. parts

parts Member

Great job!

16. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

i love this build! especially the exhaust! just nice and clean!!

17. motorheaddad

motorheaddad Member

Did you have to do any jetting to the carbs with the straight pipes and air box mod? I'm looking to change out my exhaust but don't want to rejet.

18. skillet

skillet Active Member

Most of the time (not always), changing either or both involves rejetting...

skillet
    btw not much help huh?

19. JapRatXJ

JapRatXJ New Member

Hey whats goin on everyone, im bringing this thread back from the dead! thanks for somewhat keeping it alive ive been an outcast to this forum for some time now due to other projects. Ive been riding my bike since the last time i posted it still starts everytime and has never failed me rain or shine really cant beat the reliability. Well anyways i built a new set of bars and highway pegs last night for fun, ive also been riding it awhile with the original bars i built flipped upside down for more of a cafe feel. As far as run-ability because i see a couple questions about it.. With the modified airbox i havent been able to see any kind of performance gains or losses from it. My bike does have alot of carb issues which i believe has no relation to the pipes and intake i built, i know two out of the 4 carbs have vacuum leaks at the throttle shaft seals which makes it really temper mental with the choke on but once it warms up and off choke runs good..lean but good :D

Heres with the bars flipped
    [​IMG]

And heres how it sits now, handmade z-bars about a 7 inch rise and a quarter inch of pull-back. This is my favorite look/feel so far..
    [​IMG]

These are rear pegs from a 72 cb350 i made the brackets to hold them, and the pegs even flip up out of the way!
    [​IMG]

20. skillet

skillet Active Member

Z-bars look NICE!!!

skillet