1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'82 XJ650R Front Brake Line Splitter Mount?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Dave Schmitke, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Dave Schmitke

Dave Schmitke New Member

Hi folks, my first time posting on this forum so bear with me. I picked up a 1982 XJ650R Seca that I'm slowly getting back on the road. Putting the front brake lines/calipers/etc back together now and not sure how the brake line splitter mounts on the bike. Is there a secondary mount that I'm missing? Also, what type of brake fluid do these bikes use?

I've been waiting to see if a parts bike pops up before shelling out major bucks for the headlight/assembly. A rare beast indeed.

Many thanks in advance!

NWXJ650R

Attached Files:

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Colin 85 700 likes this.
  3. XJ550H

4. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

Literally twist it toward the bike, line up, attach with the bolts right there... Easy peezey.

5. Dave Schmitke

Dave Schmitke New Member

Thanks for all the help everyone. Part of what is complicating the matter is that the splitter was never actually installed on this barn find when I bought it. There are two thick rubber grommets on each bolt hold, and combined with the width of the splitter the bolts aren't long enough. I now suspect they are not the right bolts. Also, regardless of whatever configuration I run the lines they are not long enough to connect to both the caliper and the slitter once the splitter is bolted in. Luckily it is winter so I have plenty of time to dork around with it. But if anyone has a photo of their set up I'd much appreciate it. Again, thanks for the help!

6. XJ550H

measure the lines could be the lines are not correct a photo of the lines would be nice too.

I will see if I can get photos of the setup in the morning for you, a few measurements too.

7. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Not the correct bolts. Those sound like bolts/washers used to secure the gauge cluster to the steering bracket (the washers dampen the vibrations so the gauges don't jiggle around and give you that "acid-trip" effect when viewed).

8. XJ550H

9. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Dave,

Those are the correct bolts with the grommets. They hold the lower mount of the headlight bracket "The Claw" to the lower triple tree.
    You will need that bracket to mount your headlight bucket and the turn signals.

This is the only picture I have for you as a reference:
    upload_2018-12-22_21-28-55.jpeg

Tony

10. XJ550H

SO i gave you the wrong location to mount the splitter
    the splitter mounts on the bottom of the lower tripple tree where the harness loop mounts

11. XJ550H

052.JPG

bolts go up from underside of bracket.
    this photo is from front of my parts bike
    the rusted bolt above brake hose is the 2 bolts that mount headlight bracket. Not the splitter as I told you earlier

12. Dave Schmitke

Dave Schmitke New Member

Okay, starting to come together now. Thanks Tony, since I don't have the headlight bracket it was difficult to figure what went where, but your photo helps a lot. And no worries XJ550H, your information also helps narrow down the mystery. Such is the joy of a barn find, eh? The rest of the bike is complete, and after blowing out mice nests from the pipes she runs pretty damn well. But clearly somebody pillaged the front end. Having the tank and front fender professionally painted with new decals, so eventually she should look close to stock--the headlight is the wild card--not sure how much I want to invest in that. Again, many thanks!

13. Dave Schmitke

Dave Schmitke New Member

Victorious! Yes, found the two bolt holes under the triple tree. Now everything bolts up properly. Thanks to everyone who helped me out, what a great community. Now, if anyone has a headlight mount and even possibly the headlight they'd be willing to sell, please let me know. I have communicated with the "XJ Guy", and his knowledge is freaking impressive! Unfortunately, when I add up all the parts I'm way over budget for this ole lady...so I'm on the prowl for some used parts that can use some touch up. Probably like looking for the holy grail from what I can see. Y'all rule and have a great New Years.