1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 xj750 handlebars

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by jerryburns05, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Justincummins

Justincummins New Member

This is the bike now

Attached Files:

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

an inch may not matter for the cables but the brake line may not have enough extra in it to go an inch depends on how long the bar ends are ,throttle have adjustments that may compensate for the difference.
    clutch and
    chacal can make a custom length brake hose if needed.
    do you have a flat mounted or angle mounted Master cylinder? this will factor in too.

are you currently running stock bars

3. XJ550H

k-moe likes this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

How much slack you have matters. Too much and the cable won't work reliably. Too little and you have controls that will change your intended level of input when you turn the bars.

5. k-moe

XJ550H likes this.
  6. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

I made myself a set of 7/8 bars for my 82 650 Maxim. Dimensions are roughly stock width at the clamps (don't remember that number off the top of my head) , roughly 10 inch rise, and about 3 inches of pull back. I have everything on and functional with the stock cables. I was able to carefully manipulate things around so everything works, no guitar strings, clutch pulls smooth and consistent ,throttle operates nice and smooths snaps back as it should (although I will admit i will be popping the throttle tube back off just for some precautionary graphite. The only issue I have is the brake hose. Technically it reaches as the master is bolted to the bars currently, but it is going to get swapped out for a longer braided one so I can get the rotation of the master cylinder to suit my liking. Not saying it's right, but I was able to make it work without issue, but I've also been accused of some redneck fixes a time or two.

7. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Are we sure that's a 750 from 82? Rims, dials, and headlight look like they belong to a 85-86 700... signals too. Can't see the bars in the pictures.

8. XJ550H

justincummins is asking about xj700 bars

9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

>JUST FORGET THAT RIGHT NOW<

unbolt your bars and lift them up and see what you see, take it from there. test full left and right too

hogfiddles likes this.
  10. Justincummins

Justincummins New Member

My bike is an 85 xj700

11. Justincummins

Justincummins New Member

Does anybody know if universal break lines work on these bikes. Might be a dumb question. But I don’t see why not they look right but when I looked ya the vehicles it will work on (which is a lot) it didn’t list yamaha xj

12. k-moe

"Universal" is tech-speak for "does not fit" (or at least does not fit well, or looks like crap).
    You can have lines made to length for about the same cost as buying a pre-made set (when comparing like to like).
    Chacal can make fully DOT certified brake lines in custom lengths, and has OEM lengths in stock. Many other places will make custom lines as well. Galfer is one brand that comes to mind.

13. Justincummins

Justincummins New Member

Universal break lines are insanely cheap. Yes even American made ones haha how much are the ones you’re talking about go for

14. k-moe

I'm not a fan of buying the cheapest brake lines I can find. I've had bad experiences with the cheap stuff failing, and they aren't usually DOT compliant (off road use only). Like I said, when comparing like to like, custom lines don't cost much more. I can't quote prices, but Chacal can if you start a conversation with him.
    A good set of braided steel lines will be the last set you'll ever need to buy, regardless of who you buy them from.
    If you want to put togther your own set, components aren't too costly (again, depending on the standard of quality you choose to buy), but they won't be DOT compliant (that matters to me, but it might not mater to you, and that's OK).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  15. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Things like brake components, tires, helmets, good beer, are too important to not buy cheap.

16. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i use goodridge build it yourself lines on all my bikes, never had a problem. i even asked about them at the state inspection station, perfectly fine.

now let me ask this, when a garage gets a length of steel brake line, cuts it to length, flares the ends and puts it on a car, is that DOT certified ?

Chitwood likes this.
  17. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

I purchased goodridge lines and fittings for both bikes as well. Haven't gotten them put on yet as for some reason I didn't order quite enough fittings

18. Justincummins

Justincummins New Member

I got 3 inches of added height to my bars with stock cables and no issues Decided to just wing it and see what happens. Turned out successful

Attached Files:

19. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

looks good but your mufflers fell off ;)

20. jsmith800

jsmith800 New Member

I'm looking to change my XJ650 maxim handlebars from 7/8" to 1-1/8" is there an adapter bar clamp anyone has used that works great?